When to add more?

woodwrkinnut

My tank is 40 gal.
It is a fowlr set-up
I have two fish and six snails at this point.
I would like to add one to two more fish.
I would also like to add several cleaner shrimp.
And, I would eventually like to add some type of a star fish.

My question is at what intervals do I add then, and in what order?
My two fish are a Flame Angel and a Coral Beauty that have been in
the tank for approx. 5 weeks.

BrothaWolf

My tank is 40 gal.
It is a fowlr set-up
I have two fish and six snails at this point.
I would like to add one to two more fish.
I would also like to add several cleaner shrimp.
And, I would eventually like to add some type of a star fish.

My question is at what intervals do I add then, and in what order?
My two fish are a Flame Angel and a Coral Beauty that have been in
the tank for approx. 5 weeks.

Without knowing much about your setup... As long as your levels are stable you can add a fish now Wait 4 weeks and add another fish. Cleaner shrimp dont add much to the bioload so you can add one with each fish if you like. Make sure they are small fish. You dont want to exceed your bioload limit. Those angels can grow to 3 or 4 inches. You might have some territorial issues with the angels and new fish. You might have a problem with starfish. Your tank is to small and new to support a linkia even a sand siffter. Maybe a small tiger serpent (with caution) but even they get big. I say nix the star.
Good Luck!!!

Last edited:

woodwrkinnut

Thanks Brothawolf,
I also have one other concern.
I have a 21/2" crushed coral base. From all the lfs advise I am contemplating changing over to a live sand base. can I accomplish this with my fish and snails in the tank if I move slowly?
As for more tank info,
I am running two hang on filters one is a bio-wheel and the other a standard filter.
I also am running a protein skimmer.
I have approx. 25 lbs. of live rock.

Last edited:

BrothaWolf

Crushed coral can become a nitrate problem I would definetly switch to sand. I think it would be less stress on your critters if you would scoop em out and put em in a rubbermaid tub or a bucket with a heater and a powerhead while you switch over. I would drain the tank and then add the sand after youve gotten rid of all the cc. If youre going for a deep sand bed you will want about 4" of sand If you add the sand carefully and then the water using a bowl or something to difuse the stream I would also look into adding a bit more live rock. I would go with 40-60lbs total. What kind of protien skimmer do you have? If you have a good skimmer, deep sand bed and sufficient rock you wont even need the hang on filters. I dont know much about the biowheels so someone else can jump in about that. You can set up a QT using the biowheel since it probably has a nice bacteria culture in it.When you say standard filter what do you mean? Like a whisper or something?
Cougra gave you some GREAT info in the other post so you can make up your mind about everything!