When night falls

reefsurf

so 1 of the reasons i really like this hobby is that i'm always learning new things and my "closed container" of reef is constantly evolving/changing.:hammerhea
all i've seen for weeks has been 1 cleaner shrimp. i assumed he was the quick or smart one and the other 3 or 4 were eaten by mr. maori wrasse.
last night after the tank lights went out i decided to shut off the house lights and check out my tank. after my eyes adjusted i saw some cool stuff....the maori made a dug-out bed in the corner and a chromis was sleeping on it's back!:nono: i also saw 2 more cleaner shrimp and 1 of the 2 new harlequin shrimps grazing over the live rocks.:bigbounce
so i thought for a fun thread for all would be to share what you've seen after dark with your reef that you haven't seen with the lights on. i'm guessing that there's some cool stuff! so come on and post some experiences :crowd: :

Reddog170

It is really cool to find out that you have two tanks in one. The night tank and the day tank. I have sat in front of my tank many nights just watching the nightlife. My brittle star is very active at night. My manderin has a nice little cove in a rock that he retreats to at night. My crabs and shrimp are running all over the place. I have also seen a couple bristle worms in there. I do not worry bout them, they are good cleaners. My pepermint shrimp are gone. I thik my star found them a tasty snack. At night is also the only time that I can see my porcilin crab, which is getting big. It is also neat to see all the tenticles out on my candy canes. Guess our tanks love the nightlife too. I will get a little nervous when they put in a disco ball though, LOL. Shaun

l3fty999

so 1 of the reasons i really like this hobby is that i'm always learning new things and my "closed container" of reef is constantly evolving/changing.:hammerhea
all i've seen for weeks has been 1 cleaner shrimp. i assumed he was the quick or smart one and the other 3 or 4 were eaten by mr. maori wrasse.
last night after the tank lights went out i decided to shut off the house lights and check out my tank. after my eyes adjusted i saw some cool stuff....the maori made a dug-out bed in the corner and a chromis was sleeping on it's back!:nono: i also saw 2 more cleaner shrimp and 1 of the 2 new harlequin shrimps grazing over the live rocks.:bigbounce
so i thought for a fun thread for all would be to share what you've seen after dark with your reef that you haven't seen with the lights on. i'm guessing that there's some cool stuff! so come on and post some experiences :crowd: :

Here's a thought... IF you can afford it, get some form of night vision goggles and then you'll REALLY see some action. Or, alternately, use a red light since most nocturnal animals cannot see red light. Yes, either way, it's a treat. I am very pleased to see that others recognized that you always have "two tanks in one".

Aaron

Jeremy0322

You can also just take a normal flashlight and tape some of that red see-through plastic film over the end, may save you a few bucks over buying a new light. Or, if you arent worried about maybe 5 bucks :lol: army/navy stores carry them.

jared

i find my clown by my serpent star when the lights go out, and he is missing some tips of his legs, my clownfish is a man eater, so i moved the star into my little acclimation tank since there is no predators lol