When angels go BAD!

addict

Well, I'm now two-for-two when it comes to Centropyge in a reef... :(

I added two angels about 2-1/2 weeks ago, a Potter's Angel, and a Flame Angel, and for the most part, the two of them were well-behaved for the first week...

then the Potter's went bad... he decided my clams were food, so into the refugium he went. It was such a nice fish... until it went BAD! :D

Today when I got home from working with my Dad (doing electrical rough-in in 35-degree weather while it's snowing isn't fun), the first thing I noticed was that all the SPS polyps were closed. I had a hunch what the problem was, but just to check and see, I sat back for a bit and just observed.

About a minute later, the Flame pops out from the rocks, swims up to my brown stag and starts nibbling up and down one of the branches, then starts eyeballing the other branches (which were closed up still), and then it swam through the other colonies doing the same thing... the Flame had gone BAD!

I guess SPS polyps must be like a triple espresso or something, because this fish acted like it was about to burst out of his skin with energy (think the 'java java java' scene in George of the Jungle)... it was swimming like mad around the tank, darting in and out of everywhere... something it has never done. Normally it's a pretty docile fish and just calmly swims and nibbles from place to place.

So, I had to trap it too, and now it's keeping the Potter's Angel company in the refugium... soon to be returned to the LFS.

I guess I learned my lesson with angels... they're all fine and dandy, until they go BAD! :D

cheeks69

Wannabe Guru
RS STAFF
I love the Genus Centropyge but I have also decided that it would be best NOT to add them to my tank. The only way I'd add them again is if I had a really large tank with alot of corals so they don't pick on the same ones constantly.

Craig Manoukian

Why do we as hobbiests continue to try to go against the nature of the livestock we buy in hopes they will be the one to go against their natural programming? Yikes, I hope you can find suitable homes for your pygmies and that your corals/clams recover well!

addict

Well, I tried to show them in my reef manual that sometimes they're reef safe... but apparently they wouldn't have any of it. :D

I'm sure they'll find good homes (I hope), they're going back to the LFS for store credit. The clams and corals are doing great... it took the SPS most of the afternoon today to figure out that it was safe to polyp out, but now everything is back to normal.

BoomerD

Angels are just a hit-or-miss thing. I've kept flames that NEVER touched any corals in the tank, and I had one that was very well behaved for several months, then all of a sudden, realized he was surrounded by a veritable smorgasbord, and POW...I had a coral beauty that was also extremely well behaved...never nipped at any coral, unless there was a bit of algae stuck to it somewhere, or a bit of sponge near the base...then, a gentle pick, pick, then away in search of more food. I had that one for over a year, till he just disappeared...I've always suspected my Sohal hitman of taking him out, but never saw it, so it's mere supposition...never did find any carcass though...musta been fitted for some of those aragocrete overshoes... ;)

fidojoe

Fish Addict
That sux big time! I love my centropyge angels too. I am REALLY hoping my potters doesn't go after anything :( So far he's been very well behaved, but ya never know...

addict

Yeah... I really like the Centropyge genus, but it looks that it just isn't in the cards for me at the moment. :(

Good luck with your Potter's... mine only went after my clams, so if you decide to add any keep a close eye on it.

When I pulled the Flame out, it had not only gone after my SPS polyps, but was also starting to nip at my xenia too... !@#$

:D

addict

LOL. :D

Well, in my case I'm actually trying to grow it, so... yeah. :D
Xenia is my favorite coral, and is actually what inspired me to start a reef in the first place...unfortunately, my experience with it has been hit or miss so far. :(

Since I've redone the tank it's been doing a lot better... even the stalks that had melted almost completely away are rejuvenating with little heads popping out.