Whats your skimmer? Pros? Cons?

Charley tay tay,
I had a question, do you currently have a 75 gallon tank? I ask because you originally said my 75 gallon tank, then you mention finding 75 gal tanks you can buy off CL for cheap. So I'm not quite sure if your looking to buy everything or just a skimmer, sump, and lights to add to a tank you already have. It sounds more like your trying to get advise on setting up an entire system, is this accurate? If so, knowing this could go a long way in helping to give you advise. If your needing to set up an entire system for cheap, I might look for someone selling a complete system on CL and go from there. I think that might be your best route if that's the case.

Yes you are correct Alien2100. I just don't really feel comfortable buying used equipment. Other then an aquarium. I mean its a tank. What can go wrong? As for buying a protein skimmer its more of something you need to really test out too see if it works.

Alien2100

Very understandable,
I meant an up and running system someone is looking to sell. That way you can make sure everything is working how you would like it. A lot of times people want to sale these complete rather than part them out. This is actually how I bought my 90 gal corner tank 6 years ago. And over the years I have upgraded equipment and added new things. The only thing you want to look out for, is to make sure your not buying someone else's problem. In my case it was a doctor who was closing her office and had no room for the tank at her home.
But yes you are correct for the most part you shouldn't have any issues buying just a tank off CL. However like others mentioned $400 is not going to go far on new lighting or a skimmer. I'd expect at least $300 to $400 on the skimmer alone, and $400 plus on lighting. Your best bet is to check out the black Friday sales that some of the big websites are doing.

Alien2100

I just did a quick glance but it looks like about all of our sponsors are having specials for Black Friday, and I know Marine Depot is as well. So if you haven't already you might check out those sites.

I'm sorry for using all of your guy's time but after doing tons more research these past days I just don't think I'm ready to take on something as big as a 75 gallon reef aquarium. So after some careful thought I've decided to go to a 20 gallon tall aquarium run a DIY sump/refugium with a 10 gallon aquarium(Pretty much the only tank that will fit under my stand I built), get a Eshopps Protein skimmer rated for a 75 gallon aquarium, rock I'm either going to do base rock and self seed it, or make my own. I'll be posting pictures in the next weeks to show you my progress.

Once again I'm really sorry I took all of ya'lls time. But it really did help me make this decision, and I appreciate your dedication to this forums, and my constant array of questions.

- Charley

Eric

Google Warrior
PREMIUM
For a small tank you can get RODI water from different places and it's cost effective, Your LFS might sell it also walmart has a dispenser in the front of the store to fill your containers.

Alien2100

No worries on the questions, I think most of us are glad to help.

I've actually used water from Watermill Express Stations for a few years now without any problems. It's basically purified drinking water, the company claims it goes through a eight stage process, and is checked daily.
process,
micron filter, ion exchange, activated carbon, micron filter, reverse osmosis, ozonation sterilization, taste & odor filter and ultraviolet disinfection.

It cost about 1.75 for 5gallons here, then I just mix it with my salt mix.