Whats your experience with Kessil

Choff

I love them Matt. I run 4x360s over my DT (rsm650) supplemented with t5s 4 hours a day. Mine are very low due to my hood so the spread is not great and the main reason I add the t5. I also run 2x160s over my 40b FT. Those replaced a gen2 radion that I was not having a much success with. I'm SPS dominant and I run them at 80 pct. My Lps on the sandbed generally do better with some shading because my light intensity is strong. My color is awesome, but my growth is average to slow but I attribute that to other factors like my inconsistent alk/ calcium balance.

DaveK

This is a good light, but I think it's asking a lot of a single light to span the 30" length of a 29 gal tank. Not because of the light output, but because LED like to direct their light straight down.

I think you'll end up with dim ends of the tank. This is not necessarily bad, but you might get much more even lighting with a pair of them. Yea, I know twice as much money then.

I've been thinking of throwing a couple t5's on top along with it because it says it'll cover up to 24" so im just over the limit. Dont know how big of a difference it would make.

Mayja

Social Media Moderator
RS STAFF
I asked @Choff this very same question on my thread the other day. I'm currently looking at doing two of the Kessil A360we's over my Reefer 450. Might upgrade to three later on if I feel there are dark spots. So far from everyone I've talked to and all that I've read, these are amazing lights. I got to see them first hand this past Sunday at an LFS who carries them. He had them running over multiple tanks and I was allowed to play with them. Amazing color, and he was using them to grow his corals.

I was using 4 T5 bulbs before the Kessil. So far the difference is incredible. My Kenya's and shrooms actually have some crazy color. The only thing I didnt like was the shadowing from directly overtop so I needed to change my rockwork to eliminate shadows. At the moment i have no dark spots. I did lift the light about 3 inches higher than recommended to cover the extra 6 inches of space on my tank but I just boosted the power on it and everything is happy.