Whats wrong with my GB Nest?

KARussell88

Hey all
I am having a weird problem with my Green Birds Nest colony, It's polyps are only about half way out, making it look less fluffy and more zagged. Not only that though, but it seems that some sort of algae or cyano is growing on its tips, almost like there is some sort of nutrient buildup on them.

This is weird to me because my Green Tipped Pink Birds Nest colony is beautiful and growing like a champ. I have tried a few different things, and at this point I have it sitting in a high flow area to no avail. Could be be it wants less light? Is it some disease I don't know of? Help me out guys give me some opinions.

Thanks!

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
I hear birdsnests are really susceptible to high ALK.....where is yours? Usually if they is something wrong they are the first to show it and I hear they can deterioriate really fast.

cheeks69

Wannabe Guru
RS STAFF
What are your cal/alk/mag levels and which test kits are you using ? What type of lighting are you using and how many watts ? What are the dimensions of the tank ? How long have you had it ?
Usually when you get algae growth those areas are dead.

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
I assume your Ca and Alk is off with the Alk being high....that's my guess. Cheeks is right, the algae growth is because the tips are dying.

KARussell88

Ok
Its a 90 gallon tank
Had both Birds Nests for probably close to 6 months now.
Im waiting on my calc,alk,and mag tests to get here, red sea variety
The Pink-green tipped birds nest shows none of this, and its maybe 5 inches away from the green one
lighting is a nova extreme pro with 8x 54w T5
The tips def look dead. what do I do?

KARussell88

oh and both are probably about 8-10'' away from the light
and I use Neo Marine Salt with 10% weekly water changes

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
Try a water change......"usually" fresh mixed water has a lower Alk than what we keep in our tanks.

Do you top off with anything like lakwasser or something?

KARussell88

No I don't top off with anything, I just use R/O water and do water changes
I thought the neo marine salt was supposed to put my levels where they should be

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
Without the tests it is hard to tell. If you're not topping off with anything than it is possible that the salt mix can be off......and a WC may not be good.

If the params are the problem.....it will be tough to fix not knowing what your tank is and what the fresh mix is at for Ca and Alk

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
Sounds like a good Idea.....take tank water and fresh mixed water.......should give us a good idea of whats going on and next steps.

cheeks69

Wannabe Guru
RS STAFF
No I don't top off with anything, I just use R/O water and do water changes
I thought the neo marine salt was supposed to put my levels where they should be

Did you test this salt mix to make sure that it contained the proper levels of cal/alk/mag ? They may claim that it does but most salt mixes I've tested are either too high or too low on their levels their never perfect. Also depending on the amount of stony corals you have your salt mix likely will not be enough you have to dose these elements when necessary don't assume their ok, SPS don't do very well with sudden changes in water chemistry testing/dosing regularly is essential for long term success.