What's wrong with my brain coral?

Shazbah

Hi all had this frag for about 3 weeks and it's been doing fine up untill a few day's ago. If you look on the left you can see the flesh that is dying and it's slowly creeping up. It is on the sand bed. Any ideas
salinity 1.025
Mag 1230
calc 410
kh 8.3
nitrate 0
phosphates 0
ph 8.0

Thanks Sharon

Attachments

• 20100312_2.JPG
    20100312_2.JPG
    25 KB · Views: 89

Shazbah

That's strange i can see it. Can anyone else see it? Please let me know and i will post another
Thanks Sharon

DaveK

I can see your pict. Other are more expert on these corals compared to me, but this is what I'd do.

First, I'd do an iodine dip to attempt to stop the tissue die off. If you don't see any improvement in a day or two, repeat. Be on the watch for flatworms and redbugs, two very common coral problems.

Second, I'd get the coral off the sandbed. There is a lot of dirt and other stuff there. Use a large flat rock.

Third, I'd keep the coral in comparatively dim light and modest water flow, until it recovers.

Then wait and see. It could easily die on you or it might recover. If the coral

Shazbah

Gonna try iodine dip first as i have some but can someone please tell me how to make it up and how long to dip for
Thanks Sharon

reefs reefs

Try getting it some different water flow and getting it onto a rock. keeping it on the sand bad might be damaging it, Due to little critters at night.

Sharon,

Maybe raise your PH slightly to around 8.2. Usually LPS are very tolerable of water quality and conditions. They really don't like that much flow, so a very gently current going past them will suffice. Also, make sure the light is not to strong, not to weak.

Good luck!

WVUReefer

I have this exact coral..I mean color wise and everything...It is a sandbed dweller...Moving it to a rock will provide for more damage to the polyps..especially the underlying ones...Mine has grown to a very distinct brain shape..There are some polyps that at the underlying base that have either shrunk or calcified..but this is at the base...I think these are very hardy corals..What does worry me is in your pick some polyps seem to have gaping mouths..I have never seen a polyps on mine ever gape like that...

WVUReefer

Also very low gentle flow for this coral..when mine gets direct flow the polyps contract greatly and tighten to the skeleton...try low flow bottom of tank, but keep it in a well lit area..Also try feeding it some plankton...use the soda bottle method and see if it will eat...Tiny tentacles should be seen from each polyp if you are getting a feeding response..

Shazbah

Thanks
It's at the bottom of the tank and has a light to medium flow. It has been fine for about 3 weeks and now it is'nt happy at all. I to have also noticed the
gaping mouths. I put it on a rock yesterday on the sand bed but am a bit worried about putting back on sand as i don't want to touch it and stress it out anymore.
Thanks Sharon

no1bubba

I also have the exact same (Pineapple Brain Coral) It was given to me when it was 3 years old and I have had it 2 years now. It has always had the same appearance along the very bottom. When I first got it I put it up on a rock and with withdrew and looked poorly. It has been on the sand now for 16 months and in a very low flow and it is about to have a baby.
In all of the time I have had it nothing has changed in ist appearance along the bottom edges. I do however turkey baster feed it Marine Snow . Get it off the rock and back on the sandbed. They can give you attitude if they are not happy and believe me yours is not unhappy. Bubba