Whats up sugar?

BEELZEBOB

hey i heard that people will add sugar to their tanks to help boost the bacteria, therefore reducing nitrates.

im not having any problems with NO3, but i was just wondering, are these people just using bleached table sugar, or are they usin the brown hippy stuff?

i was just thinkin ya know, about how processed white sugar is. does that take away from the benefit? or does it make no diff. whatsoever?

BEELZEBOB

cool. thank booze.

i just read a quick lil excerpt about it, but it made no pratical advice for application. just said what it did.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
This technique is used extensively in other countries and like Dentoid mentioned Vodka too. Just keep in mind you're sort of "Out there" when trying this and you run a HIGH risk of crashing your tank. The Vodka (needs to be a QUALITY non-flavored type) also FEEDS the beneficial bacteria and really gets the population going. Supposedly this GREATLY reducing many of our algae problems. Just what I've read (many times).

Allen

billyr98

Boozeman and Vodka.... hmmmmmm

I can see boozeman selling some type of ALGAE killer for real good price.. :)

Triggerjay

I used sugar to help speed up the cycle on my new setup.... but with no livestock. I used 2tbs in about 300 gal, and the bacteria bloom clouded the system for 2 days.... But it cycled fast..

Jason