What's this algae growing between my Zoas?

Draco

I don't see this when they're open, but this morning, closed, I noticed cotton-like algae growing between my zoas.

What is this, and how do I get rid of it? Will it kill my zoas?

Sorry for bad photo- I used my phone

IMG_2060_zpsb7880dc2.jpg

Mike Johnson

Dip those zoas in a 25% hydrogen peroxide/tank water bath for 4-5 minutes while swishing it around. It will kill the algae and your zoas will love you for it.

Draco

thank you, I will have to do that when I get home. Sorry for delayed response!

it is reddish/brown

Draco

Not sure about a sponge.

I can't dip it, it's well attached to the rock and I can't take it out.. Any other ideas?

Mike Johnson

slfcaptain, let us know how it works out.

Fishdad1, yes the 3% you buy in the grocery store; it's inexpensive.

IME not only does it kill the algae, but the zoas actually perk up and reproduce faster.

Draco, you can'd take the rock out and at least dip that part of the rock? Or take it out and turkey baste the zoas with the hydrogen peroxide?

slfcaptain

Just did. I picked off some of the algae and crushed a vermitid snail while it was soaking. I'll snap a picture when lights come on and post it.

steve

slfcaptain

Well its not too pretty right now. Not all polyps opened and some had just closed because I fed the tank.

Overall the polyps look good especially the ones on the backside that you cant see. Hopefully the algea is dead and the remaining strands blow away.

steve

puffermike

Going to have a shot at this as well. I have some type of algae growing on my zoas. Let you guys know how it turns out.

Last edited:

slfcaptain

Mike, will the peroxide bath knock out cyano too? Is it safe on paly's? Actually, which corals are safe to dip like this?

steve

Fishdad1

I just dipped mine. Not sure if it went well. They fizzed but when I removed them I noticed some bubble formations underneath the tissue, or within the tissue of the zoas. Hopefully it will go away.

slfcaptain

I just dipped mine. Not sure if it went well. They fizzed but when I removed them I noticed some bubble formations underneath the tissue, or within the tissue of the zoas. Hopefully it will go away.

Mine did something similar. They looked clear and about to pop but it went away after being in the tank a little while.

steve