What's most important to your tanks success?

Maxx

What do you consider most important for the success of your tank? Is there something you've recently purchased that makes a difference, or are you doing something that you feel is all important to the well being of your critters?
Just curious here.

Nick

jimeluiz

I have a hunch there are two key things that keep our tank on track:

Our EuroReef skimmer. As they say "you get what you pay for." We have been very happy with its performance.

The other thing is that we purchace filtered sea water from our lfs for water changes (79 cents/gal). This frees us from the fluxuations in water chemistry others report in association with mixing salt mixes into RO/DI water. Plus we simply do not have the space for a big drum/tub for mixing water...

So far so good! Our water parameters have been exceptionally stable from week one.

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
Hummm... water quality, consistency in parameters, flow and lighting. Water quality being THE most important. Have I mentioned lately how much I love my Remora-Pro skimmer?? :D

Gina

RS STAFF
Woodstock said:
Have I mentioned lately how much I love my Remora-Pro skimmer?? :D

Hey Doni!
Do you really love your Remora-pro?!!LOL
Actually, I can't wait till we can get a Remora! Just not in the budget right now :)

I feel that our success can be attributed to water quality, good lighting and water flo. Once things became stable, maintenence is fairly easy.

SZHTTM

Cool Topic!!!

I have to say that there are two hardware items in my 92-gallon reef system that really made a difference when purchased and installed (and still working just as good as they did the first day they operated).

There are my AquaC Ev-180 skimmer and my NatuReef Denitrator.

Everyone always says "that a good skimmer makes a big difference"...That is absolutely correct!!!! You really notice and appreciate the difference when you upgrade from a regular, everyday type skimmer to a good one. When I saw how much of a difference this skimmer made in my big tank, I went out and purchased the AquaC Remora for my 20-gallon reef. Yep...That made a hude difference too!!!

The Denitrator from NatuReef was not a cheap purchase either, but it has all but totally eliminated the Nitrates in my tank!!! I can feed all I want and have almost no Nitrate issues. The only time I really start to show a very limited amount of Nitrates in my tank, is usually just before the monthly water change.

I just recently purchased a 250 w double-ended MH. But since I have not installed it yet, I can't report on this yet...Hopefully soon after the new year.

Good Luck and Have Fun!!!;
:thumber:

Last edited:

mps9506

the single most important thing.... Hmmm...
Reefsanctuary! :D

I'll have to say other than going barebottom, I noticed the biggest improvement in tank health when I setup a kalkwasser top off on my first tank. Probably second thing was getting a heavy duty skimmer.

Witfull

dedication and williness to do what is needed...

and thinking of it as fun,,not a chore,,,i like waterchanges and cleaning the tank,,,its all part of my escape.

mattie

RS Sponsor
success for me has several levels
#1 I would say is planning out what you want before you put it together
#2 water quality and flow
#3 autotopoff
#4 high quality lighting such as mh
#5 books on the things i want in the tank

Cougra

I would have to say interest in what you have in the tank is the most important thing to keeping a healthy tank. It gives you the motivation to do the require maintainence and upkeep. When you start to loose interest you start to neglect the inhabitants. If you are constantly fighting problems such as rampant algae growth (NOT JUST hair algae, this can be so called good algae as well!) or have constant ick outbreaks then you are going to get fustrated and start losing interest then everything goes downhill really quickly. Sometimes a sort "break" from the tank/hobby may be required to get you interested in the system again!

However if you want a physical thing, then I would have to say it was the addition of my RO/DI unit played the biggest roll in my ability to do this. It's allowed me complete control of the water entering the system. Having the unit at home instead of hauling water every week makes it easier to do water changes and keep the tank topped up as often as it should be instead of waiting a "little longer" till I got more water.