What's happening to my green star polyp?

jimeluiz

About a month ago I got back from vacation and noticed that our green star polyp seemed to be dying - or at least a part of it was receeding. It has grown over the past couple of years from golfball size to now completely cover the rock we put it on - a little bigger than a good size grapefruit. In fact, we have been fragging it as it grew out over the sand for the last year or so.

But now it is not happy. You can see the flesh is turning brown and the polyps are not opening. The photo is about an hour after the lights went on so it should be a brilliant big ball of bright green polyps.

We have a monster leather upcurrent from the gsp, neither can be moved without hacking them up. Could it be the culpret? I'm running carbon.

What to do about the leather that is taking over our tank is another subject...

Attachments

• sick gsp.jpg
    sick gsp.jpg
    14.2 KB · Views: 47

Rougiem

Ichthy Inquisitor
PREMIUM
What kind of lighting are you using? Have you made any changes? Power outage while you were gone? Might be a place to start ~

jimeluiz

Just replaced the lamps a few months ago. VHO, about 400w I think...

Our clam is happy so the lights would seem OK. No outages.

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
It could be chemical warfare from the leather. Try replacing your carbon every week and adjusting the water flow. Also increase your water changes to dilute any turpins.

Also, keep an eye on any critters that could be annoying/eating it.. crabs, worms, fish, etc.

jimeluiz

That's what I'm thinking. I'll try adjusting the powerhead contributing to the blow over. That darn leather is over staying its welcome.

ReefLady

Staff member
Trying blowing it off with a turkey baster also. They seem to accumulate detritus, and that will cause them to shrink. They usually thrive in a moderate current.

HTH,