Whats happening to my Chaetomorpha?

Discussion in 'General Reef Aquarium Discussion' started by RichardC, Mar 4, 2011.

1. RichardC

RichardC New Member

Hey guys, I was looking at my chaetomorpha today and I noticed something strange.
    My chaeto was dying recently because I didn't have enough light. So I changed the light and it's doing much better. It never had a problem with growth. It grew twice it's size in one week.

Now I see these red dots all over it. It doesn't look like cyano because it's on the inside of my chaeto.
    Does anybody know what this is and maybe what I should do?

[​IMG]

2. tnwillia

tnwillia New Member

Can't help but great picture. Which bulb are you using that made the big change?

3. RichardC

RichardC New Member

well I was first using a 3500K flood light and I saw my chaeto turning grey on the bottom. It also had the red spots during that time.
    So I changed it to a 6300K flood light and it stopped dying but the red spots are still there.

I also have a small startfish, about 3mm in length, that loves to cling onto it but it doesnt seem like he's eating it.
    He hitched a ride on my LR.

4. tnwillia

tnwillia New Member

Great, thanks for the bulb info. The micro stars will thrive in the Chaeto along with other good things as it's a hiding place where they are safe. Others will jump in on your red spots. Have fun!