what wrasse is the best?

zeus_roush

Iam trying to put my first fish in my 75. Iam not sure what it really should be but iam thinking a wrasse just not sure which one would be the best. i dont want to spend alot but want to add alittle more life other then corals. I also would like it to eat my copepod overload which seem to be everywhere. also the bristle worms that seem to be reproducing. I have a refugium to grow chateo. also the next fish i want to add is a pair of clowns, which will be all the fish.

prow

many many wrasses to pick from. soo many, any color your looking into. there are just to many to pick from with out excluding stuff like color or size. what is the price range your thinking of?

zeus_roush

iam not really sure but i havent kept fish in a reef ever. I have only kept fish in a fish only tank, so iam not sure i really want a fish. So i would rather not spend alot in case i want to get rid of it. so i would say up to 40. i have zoas evrywhere, mushrooms, and nemerour other corals.

prow

there are a lot of wrasse that will fit right in, most all eat pods, many eat worms and act as cleaners and or protect corals. some even stir up the sand bad. i suggest you search around and look at "reef safe wrasses" the after looking pick a few and post questions about them, there are just too many that fit.

zeus_roush

ok did some looking-

Rubyhead fairy

Divided leopard

Mccosker's flasher

Red velvet

So now i am looking for comments or experience with any or all of these. Thank you. Of course after looking iam not concerned about my spending limits within reason

kathywithbirds

Dude! OK,I'm not the most experienced person but watch the aggressiveness of the wrasses you pick. Maybe put in the less aggressive fish you want first. My 6-line is a *^%$*, I can't put in some of the fish I'd want, and I'm trying to figure out a fish that I like that will give him and the scopas the what-for.

prow

ok did some looking-

Rubyhead fairy
Cirrhilabrus cyanopleura, never had one but good choice. i believe they need a 3"+ sandbed as thats were they sleep and duck for cover.

Divided leopard
Macropharyngodon bipartitus-do read up on this guy. hard to get to eat perpared foods and needs a 3"+ sandbed. normally i say avoid this guy. but in your tank with the tankmates and stocking levels your thinking worth a go of it, IMO. even get a pair, male and female.

Mccosker's flasher
Paracheilinus mccoskeri, cool fish like it, needs a sandbed also. best to get a couple females along with the male. i have had some very active.

Red velvet
Cirrhilabrus rubrisquamis, good one to, these wrasses all need about the same setups and alike in most ways of care. the leopard is hard due to its feeding needs, like a mandrine kinda.

So now i am looking for comments or experience with any or all of these. Thank you. Of course after looking iam not concerned about my spending limits within reason
well only had one on this list but in your case i any woud be good choices, a little risky on the leopard. but other than that pretty much with one you like. with all wrasses make sure you have a covered top, like egg creating, as they are jumpers and will go carpet diving on you. top need to be completely covered because they will find that one spot they can fit through. murphy is always lurking:D

prow

Dude! OK,I'm not the most experienced person but watch the aggressiveness of the wrasses you pick. Maybe put in the less aggressive fish you want first. My 6-line is a *^%$*, I can't put in some of the fish I'd want, and I'm trying to figure out a fish that I like that will give him and the scopas the what-for.
lol, i too have grown to hate these little guys, way worse then damsels:bluemad:-- i avoid any of the lined guys:scram:

i have a couple male and female leopard wrasses...matter a fact if i believed in reincarnation id come back as one...they sleep almost all day...lol
heres a couple of pics
101_0904.jpg

101_0912.jpg

101_0892.jpg

just make sure whatever wrasses you get is reef safe, that you have at least a 3inch sand bed, and its within your budget some can come pricey example:mystery and flame

prow

nice pair Achilles1208, i love those guys. been thinking of adding a pair to my new tank. where did you buy that pair??

prow

yeah mystery wrasses are nice but his price range is up to $40. that will get a mystery fin though:)

prow

hehe, maybe i can find a mystery fin in my tank somewhere:D i have lots mysterious things creeping around.

zeus_roush

hey thats what iam trying to figure out. the guy at the store was unsure

iam not sure the closest i can find would be a yellow fin fairy. so far atleast