What type of filtration do you use?

What kind of filtration do you use?

• Plenum/Jaubert

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
What type of filtration do you use in your tanks? Right now I'm planning for a reef tank somewhere between 75 and 125 gallons that's going to be set up in about a year. Since I have a chance to start from scratch, I want to do it without ever saying "I wish I would have...". So I wanna know what you guys recommend since you all have such beautiful tanks :hug1:

michael_cb_125

Hello Fish Nerd!
First off, what exactly are you planning on keeping in your "reef-tank"?

As for filtration, the most effective method is using quality Live Rock (no you do not need X number of pounds per gallon) and a very good protein skimmer. Couple this with high circulation and you have a very effective system that can handle almost anything.
There are hundreds of protein skimmers out there, and they all claim to be the best. But there are a few models that simply put, are AMAZING at what they do.

For a tank around 100 gallons, I would plan on a minimum of 50 pounds and a max of 100 pounds of HIGH QUALITY LIVE ROCK. Remember that not all rock is the same. In many cases 20 pounds of very porous lightweight rock is actually better and more effective than 40 pounds of dense low quality rock.
Personally I hate the look of a huge rock wall, and I always lean towards the low end of live rock. For example, in my 92 gallon tank I have about 60lbs+/- of liverock. Having too much rock can actually be more harmful than beneficial. Remember that when you add rock you loose water. And when you pack rock in a tank it can be hard to eliminate dead spots, and areas of life-sucking stagnant water can form. In short- GET HIGH QUALITY LIVE ROCK AND DONT USE TOO MUCH.

Skimmers: This is the heart of the reef aquarium and an area that should not be skimped on. It is always better to get a skimmer that is rated for a tank larger than the tank you will put it on. Her are a few models that I have used and found VERY EFFICIENT!! The models listed would work perfectly on a 75-120 gallon tank.

ELOS NS1000
ATB 840 Cone
ASM G3
ATI Bubble Master 200
RE Bubble King Mini 160
Vertex IN180

There are many others as well, but these are some of the best skimmers made and are VERY GOOD at removing waste.

~Michael

reef dummy

Excellent advice Michael. I have a 120g and this is my setup: LifeReef skimmer rated for a 250 and ADHI sump. Has kept my heavily fed tank perfect for over a year now. Here's a pic for fun.

IMG_4679.jpg

Hello Fish Nerd!
First off, what exactly are you planning on keeping in your "reef-tank"?

As for filtration, the most effective method is using quality Live Rock (no you do not need X number of pounds per gallon) and a very good protein skimmer. Couple this with high circulation and you have a very effective system that can handle almost anything.
There are hundreds of protein skimmers out there, and they all claim to be the best. But there are a few models that simply put, are AMAZING at what they do.

For a tank around 100 gallons, I would plan on a minimum of 50 pounds and a max of 100 pounds of HIGH QUALITY LIVE ROCK. Remember that not all rock is the same. In many cases 20 pounds of very porous lightweight rock is actually better and more effective than 40 pounds of dense low quality rock.
Personally I hate the look of a huge rock wall, and I always lean towards the low end of live rock. For example, in my 92 gallon tank I have about 60lbs+/- of liverock. Having too much rock can actually be more harmful than beneficial. Remember that when you add rock you loose water. And when you pack rock in a tank it can be hard to eliminate dead spots, and areas of life-sucking stagnant water can form. In short- GET HIGH QUALITY LIVE ROCK AND DONT USE TOO MUCH.

Skimmers: This is the heart of the reef aquarium and an area that should not be skimped on. It is always better to get a skimmer that is rated for a tank larger than the tank you will put it on. Her are a few models that I have used and found VERY EFFICIENT!! The models listed would work perfectly on a 75-120 gallon tank.

ELOS NS1000
ATB 840 Cone
ASM G3
ATI Bubble Master 200
RE Bubble King Mini 160
Vertex IN180

There are many others as well, but these are some of the best skimmers made and are VERY GOOD at removing waste.

~Michael
Thanks so much Michael. I never know where to start in the skimmer department. When I first started my LFS guy coaxed me into getting that piece of junk Visi-Jet. :dunno: I have no idea what would motivate a person to give advice THAT bad. It's essentially a 45 dollar bubbler. As to what "exactly " is going to be in there, I don't know since this isn't going up for another year. But generally, soft corals and a few LPS. As far as fish go, I'll probably have 2 or 3 large fish (some sort of tang and reef-safe trigger [probably a blue throat] are the only things I'm sure of), and some small things like chromis, clowns, dwarf angels etc... and of course the clean up crew and inverts. So basically, my bio-load is going to be fairly heavy.

michael_cb_125

Just be sure to get a good skimmer. That is the best advice anyone can give.
IMHO steer clear of the following brands: Red Sea, Current USA, Aquatic Life, Coralife, JBJ, Azoo, CPR, Kent, Taam, ViaAqua, Aqua Euro, Marine Land, SeaClone and Sapphire which is no longer in business. In general these skimmers are either not efficient or not made very well. IME the best skimmers are made in the following countries: Germany, Italy, Austria, Japan, or the USA.

I will list a few more brands in a minute.

~Michael

michael_cb_125

Elos, ATB, ATI, Aqua Medic, Tunze, Bubble King, Warner Marine, Octopus, Eshopps.

I have used many of these brands and have had great luck with them.

~Michael

Excellent advice Michael. I have a 120g and this is my setup: LifeReef skimmer rated for a 250 and ADHI sump. Has kept my heavily fed tank perfect for over a year now. Here's a pic for fun.
Thanks Reef Dummy! I love your avatar. Lol. But anyways, that looks like a nice setup. Is it noisy at all? My boyfriend, who the new tank (lol) and I are going to be getting an apartment with, has only one requirement: it's not too loud. By the way Pics definitely do = fun!

Elos, ATB, ATI, Aqua Medic, Tunze, Bubble King, Warner Marine, Octopus, Eshopps.

~Michael
The skimmer I've heard most good things about is the Aqua C Remora. But I'm definitely looking for the most cost-effective option. I'll have to look into the brands you recommended and see if I can find any on Craigslist or something. Thanks so much.

michael_cb_125

Personally I am not a fan of the Remora. I like the more traditional style of skimmer (cone or cylinder) plus for your size tank you will need a much more beefy skimmer than a remora.

~Michael

DaveK

The skimmer I've heard most good things about is the Aqua C Remora. But I'm definitely looking for the most cost-effective option. I'll have to look into the brands you recommended and see if I can find any on Craigslist or something. Thanks so much.

On the size of tank your planning, a Remora would be too small. Look for something larger, that is mounted in or near the sump.

Expect to spend some money for the skimmer.

Clownfish518

Razorback
PREMIUM

~Michael

I would throw in SWC. For up to a 90 the SWC 160 Cone is a great deal. For a 125, the Mini-S is a great skimmer. All the other ones that Michael named are good too.

reef dummy

Thanks Reef Dummy! I love your avatar. Lol. But anyways, that looks like a nice setup. Is it noisy at all? My boyfriend, who the new tank (lol) and I are going to be getting an apartment with, has only one requirement: it's not too loud. By the way Pics definitely do = fun!

No, not noisy at all.

Reddog170

I do not know about staying away from any one brand of skimmer all together because I use a coralife super skimmer 65 and it works great. I had to do someminor work to it just to smooth out the flow as there was some excess plastic in the way. I had a ASM G2 for about a week. I got it used and the only thing I ever got from it was a mess. But I know lots of people that have great luck with them. I would say just go with a reputable company and get one rated for 1.5X your water volume. Just my opinion, Shaun

reefmasta

all is i can say, good circulation, balance of liverock and organisms in the tank along wih a skimmer, then MOOSSST important is a refugium. if this is your first tank or something close then a refugium wil just alow you to win more effeciant and you will be alot happyier. all 1800Gallons i run has a refugium on it. noooway i could do it without.