What to use to hold RO water

Tab964

I have found the RO unit I want but is only does 110 GPD. So if I wan to do a water change in case will be about 30 gallons I would have to store the water since it will take about 6-7 hours. What are other using to hold to water. It does not seen safe to use a new plastic garage can.

BobBursek

Most use a plastic 32gal garbage can or larger, Brute makes a Food grade one but I do not think it is needed. Just wash out the new one and rinse well.

livebait

I'd have to agree with the above. I use a 50 gal rubbermaid heavy duty tote. I used to use a $14 garbage can from wallyworld but changed to the tote cuz it's easier to hide.

reef dummy

Agreed, here is my rubbermaid that has a custom made cabinet.

2009_11100225.jpg

2009_11100224.jpg

Tab964

I always thouht that those colored plastics contained chemicals since most contain high levels of recycled plastics. Quess I was wrong.

DaveK

Any new large plastic container to be used for water storage should be cured first.

All you need to do is fill it with tap water, add a few handfuls of cheep rock salt, and circulate. Wait a day or two, drain and rinse. If you still have a strong chemical smell, repeat.

DaveK

What is detrimental about recycled plastic?

You are taking a bigger risk. You just don't know exactly what is in them, and if it will leach anything. It only takes a trace of something bad to effect a reef system. That being said, if you cure the container as I mentioned above, you are unlikely to have a problem.