what to do

mnreefman

k i got 3 options to go here... and i want any and all info hat you can share... at the end of the month i have a few days to take care of some buisness and i have a few routes i can go, any help is appreciated...

route #1.... empty my 55 and get it drilled. ($50 bucks per hole unless i have it done at a glass shop) and upgrade my lights(100-200 after i sell my curent 48 " retro with dual 175s) get a new ca reactor ($300????)

route 2...... empty my 55 gal get a 40 breeder (more room front to back) keep my lights and take apart the retro and diy me a hood... the tank will also come with aboout 150w oh pcs to add to my (2) 175w 10ks abd the (2) 55w pcs that already exist. get the breeder drilled... and go sps from there

route 3 buy a used 125 from a local reefer.. it come with tank stand and hood (no lights)... then upgrade lights and pumps as needed...

i know the 125 is bigger but i think a killer sps breeder would be great... id then get rid of all my fish and start over with a rbta and 2 black percs... and get 3 or 4 small blue chromis.....

please post any and all feedback withtips, tricks, and or ideas..... thanks again guys....

so far my plan is route 2

Last edited:

Tarasco

Personally, I would go either 2 or 3. I like the idea of having a deeper tank for more aquascaping room. Why wouldn't you get a calcium reactor with #2? The problem with used tanks and stand is are there any scratches, is the stand warped at all, does it need to be refinished, does it match the other furniture in your living room... I would personally go with the 125, but it sounds like you can make a seamless transition to the 40 without much difficulty.

mnreefman

well another route just fell into my lap

geting a 65 gal oceanic 36 long 24 wide 24 tall ( i think thoes were the dimensions...) for 220bucks... rr. drilled on the bottom... then all i would need to do is get both sides drilled for a closed loop. and the i will run my return from my sump over the back with a spraybar..... they will also take my 55 off my hands.... then i can diy a hood and take apart my retro and use thoes lights and balasts, while saving a place in the middle for a 250w mh witch would be added a week after inital set up....

mgregory

Well my 2 cent is; go with the 65 above!!! I think is a good size for being able to aquascape and it sounds like it would be an easy transition for you!

I just like the bigger tanks!

Mark

Witfull

i like the 125,,,,longer tanks give more real estate for more stuff. plus you can get away with 175s or 250s. but long tanks are what i like.....everyone has a preference.

mnreefman

i like deeper tanks from front to back idealy if the 125 was a cube shape id go right for it.... so i think ill get the 65 gal

kfra

I think the 125. right next to the 65 that is ont top of the 55.
just my opinion. but who am i.

tommyp

Is the oceanic 65 really a 65? the 65 all glass that I have is 18" deep. I imagine the oceanic is too? I have never seen a 36x24 deep but have tought about it. that size would be pretty cool.

All glass makes a 50 breeder that is 36x18x19 tall a buddy has one it is a nice footprint and you can cover with a single halide if you modify the brace. i would think the 40 breeder would be too low. but it still would be cool.

mnreefman

oceanic quit making the 65... however it is one that the lfs has had for awhile.. the exact dimensions are 36x18x24... i am losing over a foot in length, but the extra width more than makes up for it :).......

tommyp

The 65 is a good tank. I really like mine. The only thing I don't like is the crossbar. it works best if you run two halides, Which makes me wonder why i didn't just get a 90 or a 120 because I am putting enough light into the tank to run a bigger tank.

mnreefman

i didnt want a long tank, i have a long, big tank set up at my other house so i have that covered, i just want a smaller more cubical tank.... the 55 is way to skinny :)