What to do with clowns laying eggs

Clownfish518

Razorback
PREMIUM
Well, you will need live rotifers to feed the fry, and a rearing tank to raise them. It gets quite complicated. I would read Doni's thread on this; she has much more experience than I do at rearing clowns. The downside is that its probably too late for the first batch of eggs; the upside is that clowns once they start will probably lay a new batch every few weeks. Especially at this time of year

morrowss

So maybe I should just think about separating them from that tank and put them by themselves...I'll do some reading in the meantime...thanks

surfzone

Clownfish518

Razorback
PREMIUM
I would not move the mating pair and disrupt them - they may stop laying. Clowns will lay eggs every few weeks once they start. There are plenty of opportunities.

In the meantime readup on what you need to raise the fry. They will need to be removed from the tank. If you don't have a food supply for them like live rotifers, you likely will not have it by the time these eggs hatch. A seperate tank to grow them out is needed too. Read up and plan, quite a lot is involved.

Joezreef

I would go ahead and set a piece of tile in the tank after the eggs are hatched! put it right were the eggs are now....like everyone said let her lay the eggs on the tile a few times before removing it from the main tank! You will be able to tell when the eggs are ready they go from orange to a brown and the eyes form usually on day 7....you will need to set up a rotifer tank and a seperate tank for the babies to be transfered to! I would recommend setting up atleast 3 rotifer tanks in case of a crash you will have backup....I prefer to grow my own phytoplankton for the rotifers to eat but you can use the refrigerated kinda also!