What to add?

What are the main things to add to your tank for reefs instead of doing big water changes to replace all that was used up by the corals. I would like to know so i dont have to do these water changes as much and still keep my corals thriving. I want to add a lot more SPS and maybe some leathers. The only major thing i know of to add is calcium. i have a very mixed reef right now. Thanks!

seafansar

Well with SPS and leathers you'll want to run A LOT of carbon! You just need to dose the main things like two part (calcium & alk) and magnesium. I also used to does iodine. Bulkreefsupply makes a good two part. It's cheaper cause you buy the dry stuff and mix it yourself.

OHmariner

With a set-up aimed at less waterchanges I think It would be critical to run Chemi-Pure and Phosban to prevent what I call 'end result' chemicals from building up in your system. Waterchanges not only replenish chemicals but they also remove hard to extract chemicals like Nitrates and Phosphates.

Less waterchanges theoreticly make the system more stable but in my experience, the best aquarium examples I have seen always get regular waterchanges to remove impurities.

Keep us posted on your progess if you go the 'reduced waterchange' route so we can learn from your experiences :read:

Big Ray

Has been struck by the ban stick
it depends largely on what methology you are using, what you have in the tank and ... .

Dr. Randy holmes asks a nice question on this article :Water Changes in Reef Aquaria by Randy Holmes-Farley - Reefkeeping.com

why are you doing water changes ? to reduce N and P ? then there is no replacement,

or to renew chemicals or to get out build up of some chemicals.

one thing to note is that BIG water changes in reef tank are NOT GOOD. you should do 30% per month at max to not shock corals.

for my system, I dose ALOT of elements, KH, CA++, MG, K+, Iodine, FE, strontium, molybelium, copper, SI, ... and many many many more elements for all SPS to trive.the nutritions are REALLY low (Zeovit) and I do Bi-weekly water changes, and that is ONLY to get the RATIO of those elements back in check !
what it comes down to, KH and CA++ and MG can be tested and added, other elements cant, so you never know if you have the correct ratio or not, so water changes here and tehre are needed on top of it.

I also have a lionfish tank, which gets like 2 water changes a year .... no corals, and bubble algae, I change water in that tank once in a while, out of boredom lol but dose KH daily.

Carbon should be ran in all Reef systems imo.