what the heck is this on my monti?

Charlie97L

i just got a monti this weekend, and i noticed this white stuff on it. it flows around in the current. this is an established monti, that i got from another reefer's tank, so i can't believe it's a parasite.

it's all around the edge, and up on the middle parts too.

is it like, new growth or something?

Attachments

• whitestuff.jpg
    whitestuff.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 87

sasquatch

Brunt of all Jokes~
PREMIUM
looks like white band disease?? maybe bleaching, sure somebodys got a remedy, good luck. Steve

Charlie97L

but it's like, retracts during the day... it's very wavy. the monti looks perfect under my daytime lights. this is a night shot.

STAR RIDGE

can't seem to open photo but it sounds to me like a preditory nudibranch. these are very small and tend to resemble tiny white tenticals. i would take it out of the display tank and put it in a container of tank water. thentake a turkey baster and vigorously blow them off and discard them. keep an eye on the monti as it is the only coral i have seen these on. let us know how it goes. joe.

Charlie97L

anyone? a lot of it seemed gone, or closed, this morning before i turned on the lights.

it looks like spiderwebs almost. definitely NOT nudis. not the standard ones anyway. they are way too big for that. plus, i don't see any damage at all on the colony.

EDIT: they've been positively IDed as vermetid snails. not harmful, but can irritate the monit. solution, wait for them to close, put a dab of epoxy over the hole for 2-3 days, remove epoxy. no more snail.

Last edited:

SueT

Charlie glad you got them id'ed.. The webs can get on corals and it does make for a mess trying to get them off. Thats a super nice monti. too..

Witfull

on the positive side,,,for a vermitid to thrive it has to be in great water. this is a sign of a healthy colony of coral. its something i absolutly look for on a clamshell. they are very common on healthy clams...so,,,despite the irritation, its a positive.