What the heck is it?!?

greneis7

Okay guys, I've been pouring over pictures of different corals trying to figure out what this is! This one is larger than mine, but kinda similar. She thought it might be brain coral.
I'm going to post my terribly fuzzy picture and then hers. Please tell me what you think!!!
tank021.jpg

Orange_and_green_Brain.jpg

greneis7

Thanks Eric! There are so many types, but I think I found it. When it is closed it looks just like a few of the pictures of Favia Pallida.
But now I'm going to ask STOOPID questions. Some quick reads all said that this has long sweeper tenticles at night and to make sure it isn't near anyhing else. Here was a blurb about feeding: Place it in the sweeper tentacles, which pack a potent sting so be aware, and for this reason, leave plenty of room between neighbors.
Should I be wearing gloves even when I am just feeding my babies? I thought I was pretty safe with the turkey baster?
This is a little piece, how long do the stingerz get? I have zoanthids on a rock below this, but not on the same rock... are they okay?

Eric

Google Warrior
PREMIUM
I believe the tentacles only reach out about 1/2" to 1" I thing the problem occurs once they start to grow and get up against another coral and they take it over.

The turkey baster is fine but by rights you should always wear glove when working in your tank, I have been stung and bitten more than a few times and thankfully I'm not allergic, the only ill effect I have ever had was from a large bristle worm in rubble that irritated for 3-4 days slightly swollen but nothing major.

I would make sure it has room to grow and you should be fine, someone else may have better info but I would give it a fair amount of room to grow.

greneis7

Thank again Eric. Room won't be an issue after the 110gl gets here! =) When I touch the rocks, I usually wear gloves, but that's it. Maybe I should get some good ones. The rubber yellow ones from walmart protect, but the water gets in them and then it sucks getting them off and blah blah blah.

Adalius

I'm finally getting feeling back completely in my fingers after my first time handling a BTA a few weeks back. He was floating around while I was working in the tank so I kept trying to just brush him away a little bit so he didn't get hurt by the rock I was moving and lo and behold I must have gotten stung a bit. Felt like dipping my hands in anesthetic.