What should i

What should I have under my power heads I just pulled out a bag of ceramic disc things and they Are caked in crap prob been in there for years. I'm sure I read these are crap and replace them but what with

So not put the discs back the and not put anything in the power head chamber where should I put the live rock , rowphus and filter wool I have just fitted a Tunze but no reef rack thing yet, I had to fit skimmer on the left hand side and move heater to right

Monkeyboy

I wouldn't put anything under the pumps in the COD (chamber of death). Most of us on here leave that bit empty, as you've seen when you removed the ceramic media it traps all kinds of rubbish and becomes a nitrate factory. Live rock goes into the main display and provides a vast majority of you bio filtration. I would suggest that you get some form of media rack for the carbon, rowaphos etc. These can be made quite easily I believe of purchased from a guy on here.

Hope this helps

ausreef

if you have a reasonable amount of liverock ive found it best to run the whole filtration area empty,i had constantly high nitrates but after removing everything except the live rock the nitrates came down to undetectable within 2 weeks,i found the chemipure elite and purigen bags very efficient nitrate producers