What should I put in my refugium?

tystank

Hi Everyone!

I am planning to put a sump and refugium in my RSM 130 and was wondering what was the best thing to put in the refugium.As I am a beginner I don't want to get too carried away and so will go nice and steady,stocking it as a reef tank with corals and some fish.

As I said I want this to be a mainly coral tank so will be stocked with Zoas,mushrooms and polyps etc,so what would be the best refugium I could add.

Any help would be great.

desertcelt

I currently have macroalgae (chaeto), deep sandbed and some live rock. At the very least throw in some chaeto and a small powerhead. Helps with the nitrate problems IMHO

desertcelt

Thanks...some people say to put a CUC in also but does it vary on what is in the DT
I think you have to be careful putting CUC in a fuge. The chances that a snail or other small creature could get stuck in a return pipe or pump may cause a disaster. I don't have anything in my fuge, but my LFS personnel say that larger creatures like emerald crabs and big turbo snails might be ok, but you're still taking a risk of a spill.

frisbee

If your not planning on keeping a specialized feeder such as a mandarin then just keep it simple. A couple baseball sized pieces of live rock and some Chaeto. This will make it extremely easy to keep clean and let's face it, keeping things clean is pretty much what it's all about. GL.

Last edited:

tystank

I think you have to be careful putting CUC in a fuge. The chances that a snail or other small creature could get stuck in a return pipe or pump may cause a disaster. I don't have anything in my fuge, but my LFS personnel say that larger creatures like emerald crabs and big turbo snails might be ok, but you're still taking a risk of a spill.
OK thanks alot

tystank

If your not planning on keeping a specialized feeder such as a mandarin then keep it simple. A couple baseball sized pieces of live rock and some Chaeto. This will make it extremely easy to keep clean and let's face it, keeping things clean is pretty much what it's all about. GL.
As you say I'm going to keep it simple but still want something visual that is appealing and at the same time gives me the time to learn slowly and understand whats going on in my tank.I intend to run this for a year and in that time learn as much as I can only then do I think I'll have enough knowledge to progress further.Thanks for the input