What should I do about this red algae???

Reefin

Ok so I have this small rock with some zoa's on recently the rocks has covered itself in this red algae what should i do about this can I physically remove it from the rock should I not even chance it and just get them out of my tank I don't want what ever this is to spread!!!

photoqi.jpg

From the looks of it, it is probably Cyano or red slime algae. It does and can spread and if the conditions are right very rapidly at that.

This type of algae is usually caused by excess phosphates/ or excess nitrates or a combination of the two. These can be caused by a number of things, but in my experience there are usually two main causes.

#1 high nitrate levels caused by over feeding

#2 high phosphate levels by adding salts that are not phosphate free, or adding water which contains phosphates.

Solutions, do not feed as much, maybe every other day (Yes your fish will be fine) also try and do more frequent water changes, as for phosphates try and use RO/DI water. Rather than tap, if you are not using tap water contact the source of the water that you are using and ask them about there filtering method.

If you are using RO/DI water ask them when the last time they changed there filters were.

This should help.

Rhodes19

Red algae or cyanobacteria is unfortunately a common problem. Check your water parameters particularly phosphates and nitrates. They are usually high. Do big water changes to reduce them and while you are doing the water change, you can siphon the cyano off the rock or what ever else its on as well. There are some medications you can use but most people recommend against it. It fixes the symptoms but not the cause and it will come back. I have read some folks are using emerald crabs to eat it but I don't have any experience with that. HTH.

Reefin

my nitrites are unreadable nitrates 2.5 phosphate 1.0 i use ro/di from a buddy his system is fairly new maybe 4 months old at most what should i test my ro/di water for? and what should i do about the one frag thats covered in the stuff?????

Reefin

I mean should i just remove the rock and the algae from my tank before it spreads problem solved right or is it not that easy?

Nigma

i use to have a red algae problem, it was a pain in the ass... i changed the types of food, alternated between different types, and reduced my feeding.. and couple of water changes... red algae just disappeared. it does take a week or so for all of it to be gone.

Rhodes19

my nitrites are unreadable nitrates 2.5 phosphate 1.0 i use ro/di from a buddy his system is fairly new maybe 4 months old at most what should i test my ro/di water for? and what should i do about the one frag thats covered in the stuff?????

Test for nitrates and phosphates in the ro/di and check the total desolved solids. You can leave the rock in the tank, just siphon the algea off of it when you do water changes.

framerguy

use a small diameter hose and suck out what you can from the rock. Leave the coral in there but get the cyano off of it. It siphons off easily. You may have to do this often until the problem is fixed.

dlcorliss

I had the same issue. I tried the chemicals and it did not help a whole lot. What I ended up doing to using a turkey baster to siphon off the red slime every day while running Chemi Pure Elite in a canister filter for a could of weeks and it totally killed all the red slime.

klok95330

check your ro water and test it. there should be no phosphate in either tank/ro water. if your using water from someone elses tank i would stop. because you dont know if they have the same problems with their ro water or if they are feeding correctly. so if they have a problem and give you their water now you got problem water. i honestly wouldnt even let him mix it. then again thats just preference. i personally like to make sure i do everything so i know its done right. or what i believe to be right. you can syphon but if your using water with phosphates your just going to keep adding it to your tank and its going to keep coming back. i would try to get your water somewhere else. took me 5 months to find the water i was satisfied with. just be careful and dont be afraid to experiment because its all a learning experience. if something works for someone else it dont mean its going to work for you, so try anything to see for yourself what results you will get. if it works great if not keep trying :) hope this helps. keep us posted good luck, god bless and happy reefing

Reefin

My ro/di water has 0 nirates,phosphates this small rock with zoa's on it was purchased at a LFS it's the ONLY thing in my tank with this red cyno slimey algae crap lol I use real ocean water for water changes I recently heart my back at work and am not able to lift heavy jugs holding me back on my water changes I know I know I need to stay up on my water changes I feed very small amounts of frozen food twice a day and i mean small amounts each fish gets to or 3 bites I figure this way my tank can process the little amount of food before I feed again rather than giving on big load each day and then my fish r happy to

My ro/di water has 0 nirates,phosphates this small rock with zoa's on it was purchased at a LFS it's the ONLY thing in my tank with this red cyno slimey algae crap lol I use real ocean water for water changes I recently heart my back at work and am not able to lift heavy jugs holding me back on my water changes I know I know I need to stay up on my water changes I feed very small amounts of frozen food twice a day and i mean small amounts each fish gets to or 3 bites I figure this way my tank can process the little amount of food before I feed again rather than giving on big load each day and then my fish r happy to

Well, in that case then just syphon off the frag. How long have you had the frag for? If you have only had it a couple of days then the algae is probably from the LFS that you bought the frag at. Was the RSA (Red slime algae) on the frag before you bought it? It could be a LFS problem and not nessessarilly yours.

Just an idea.

klok95330

i had the same issue with a frag i bought from a lfs. i thought of it as a mini cycle in itself just for the frag. as it was the only thing affected in the tank