What kind of alge growth is good?

JKsocr4

Im new to the reef keeping and SW aquarim life. My tank is still cycling and its been 2 months and my tank is getting some algea on it. Since i cant really put the fish in or cleaning crabs are the following algea good or bad

Browish-red (rust colored):Its covering the filters in the water and a thin layer on the rocks and on the sand.

Green grass-hair like on rocks only.

My tank is in the lat stages of cycling my Ph is back to normal but my Nitrite and Nitrate are slowly on there way down from their spike. Any info on this would be greatly appreciated. Thank you all for your help so far.

tommyp

How did you cycle the tank?

Brown if I am not mistaken is diatoms. They will go away.

Hair algae is feeding off nutrients you can pull it out if it gets too crazy or just wait till the hermits get it.

What filters do you have in the tank?

ScottT1980

It sounds like you are going through the typical new tank cycle. The browns generally come and then the greens although in your case, you get to handle both...

I say it is starting to be time for a cleanup crew. Also, Tommy makes a good point to ask about your filtration (LR, fuge?, are you using a canister or HOB filter at all?)...

Nothing to be worried about, my tank went through as did many others and it is a sign that your tank is starting to get "habitable" and will soon be reef ready (if that was your intention).

Take er easy
Scott T.

Cougra

Yep sounds normall to me. The first 6 months to a year you will go through a lot of different stages. I found that you get diatoms, hair algae and cyano for the first few months as the water parameters are fluctuating the most.

Don't panic and try doing a lot of adjustments as that will just prolong the process, IME. The hair algae and any Cyano you may get will help you export nutrients that have built up throughout the initial cycling.

Are you using RO/DI water in the tank? This helps emensely wehn it comes to battling any sort of hair algae.

They will balance out as the tank matures.

Have patience you are doing fine!

jks1

I agree with Scott, I think you could add a small clean-up crew now. If you let us know how big the tank is we can help with numbers needed. Also what type and depth of substrate will help. As said above- perfectly normal maturation process.

wooddood

the wood dude
i agree on the clean up crew.as far as the hair algea i never experienced that in my cycle and dont think its a good thing.sounds to me like you need to give us a little more info on the tank as far as power heads,what kind of water movement are you running,what size tank and what kind of turn over rate are you running with the return pump ect.or are you running a hob filter.sounds like a water movement problem to me.give us a little more info and im sure we can help you out.

NaH2O

Contributing Member
First let me say Welcome to RS!

My second question is when you said your pH is back to normal...did you mean your ammonia (just want to clarify for myself). IMO, I would wait for your nitrites to be zero before adding any janitorial critter. What size is the system? Have you been using RO/DI water? As everyone has stated so far, new systems go through algae issues. Nothing to worry about - it is just a matter of keeping the excess nutrients at a minimum (hence the RO/DI water). Do you have any live rock, and if so was it cured or uncured? If it was uncured, have you been blasting it occasionally with a turkey baster or powerhead? Are you running a skimmer?

OK, I'm done hammering with questions...sorry, I just realized how many I posted. :(

JKsocr4

I have a 40 gal with two Rio 200 for water movement along with my FLUVAL 304 filtration system and a Protein skimmer. I have live rock as well as live sand. My live rock, I believe was cultured and dave DI water in it.

Hope this information helps out. Thanks again for all your advice, everyone!!!!:cool: