What is this on my tang's nose?

SeahorseBT

I just noticed it today. The fish appears active and healthy with a good appetite. Any ideas?
Tanks769.jpg

DrHank

If you are talking about the loss of pigmentation, that's what it is. It's a temporary condition which may last a few days and then return to normal. It may show up anywhere on the body and may re occur. It will usually go away in a day or two. I have no idea what causes it but my purple has had it on 3 occasions that I remember over the last 2 years.

Do I detect a slight case of HHLE along the lateral line. Make sure your parameters are up to speed, that your tank is grounded, and you might try soaking some nori in Selcon for a few minutes before feeding. Feed about 3 times a week for the next month and see if improvement is noted.

I got my purple for half price because it had it bad on one side. Took about six months and there is a light scar left but I've got a happy healthy fish today. Good luck and don't worry about the white spot.

SeahorseBT

I was wondering what the spots were on the lateral line. I didn't notice them until the pic with the flash. Thanks for the info on the loss of pigmentation.

So is HHLE nutrition related? I feed PE and Hikari Mysis 5X a week and home made mush the other 2X.

Ingredients in the mush include: rotifers, copepods, golden pearls, brine shrimp, cyclopeeze, oysters, mussels, squid, shrimp. crab meat, red snapper, sea bass, tuna, scallops, roe, naturose, selcon and garlic.

The tangs also get two leafs or romaine lettuce, red grape algae, and ulva from my seahorse tank 1-2 times a week. What else can I add?

I'll test my params tomorrow.

DrHank

I don't think that anyone really knows what causes HHLE but grounding the tank to remove any induced electricity and improvement in diet do wonders to cure it. Tangs are primarily herbivores. The food you are using is excellent for omnivores/carnivores but lacking for herbivores. Clip some Nori (seaweed) that has been soaked briefly in Selecon and feed every other day. That should improve your fish's condition over the next few months. You may find that the other fish in your tank enjoy it too. Even my clowns and six line will pick at it when I feed my Tangs. You can bet your Coral Beauty will go for it too. When you get a chance, you might want to hit that Aiptasia with a dab of Kalk paste too.