what is this growing on my rock ?

slb11106

any help would be great, this hairy looking stuff is everywhere and spreading, does anyone know what it is ?

it is hard to see, but this is the best pic i could get

Attachments

• DSC00078.jpg
    DSC00078.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 65

Dragon Wrasse

Sorry, its hard to see (a bit blurry) My guess would be the start of some long hair algea.....if it gets out of control, remove the rock and use a tooth brush on it then rinse with RO water...should come off easily, then replace the rock, that is if it turns out to be nussance algea.

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
It looks like you're pointing at the red mat-like growth... if so, it is cyanobacteria and is a nusiance algae. Try to remove as much of it as possible by siphoning, turkeybaster, or netting it. It thrives off of low oxygen areas so increase the flow if possible; it also thrives off of po4, old PC bulbs (old bulbs shift to a red spectrum that algaes love), and nitrAtes. Use ro/di water, a phosban media, increase flow, and replace old PC bubs before 8-9 months.

HTH

slb11106

ok, bulbs are 6 months old, but i did have a 3" diamater plate coral dieing off (i was hoping it would live but it was decaying so i removed it last night, maybe that was adding to the problem. i will try to get a better picture

i also changed my carbon and ordered some phosban.