what is this creature?

stapet77

Any idea what these are? They move and look like small shrimp. I thought they might be copepods, but they are 8mm long and all data I have seen says that copepods are about 1mm long.

Attachments

• creature3.jpg
    creature3.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 75

stapet77

Thanks guys. You are right, he looks just like the one on the link you sent Boomer. Amhipods are beneficial like copepods right?

Thanks,
Stacy

BoomerD

Yep, great detritus eaters...always a plus in a reef tank, AND, they're a nice live food source for your other inhabitants.

aquaman3680

boomer... i didnt know that there was a difference between the two? What are the differences? Or did i just spell it wrong?

Matt

mps9506

boomer... i didnt know that there was a difference between the two? What are the differences? Or did i just spell it wrong?

Matt

According to Wiki anthropods are a race of aliens found in the game X-com :D

The other similar term would be arthropod which usually refers to the phylum arthropoda which includes insects, spiders and crustaceans (copepods, amphipods etc.)

rDr4g0n

According to Wiki anthropods are a race of aliens found in the game X-com :D

The other similar term would be arthropod which usually refers to the phylum arthropoda which includes insects, spiders and crustaceans (copepods, amphipods etc.)

lol i thought me and squatch were the only clowns here!

mps9506

Funny how taxonomy is one of the few things that has really stuck in my head since college, and it was one of the most miserable things to learn, at least until I got into Ichthyology then it was pretty neat. Unfortunately my coral reef ecology class never got beyond basic taxonomy of corals.