What is the smallest trigger?

iamkellogg

I wondered what the smallest trigger you can find and keep in a reef aquarium? My tank is still empty and I am still in search of the perfect HARDY fish for the tank. I am thinking of buying a few Chromis to test things out. It has been nearly two months so I am waiting for a second cycle before I get any expensive fish. I have 5 crabs and 5 snails that are alive and kicking.

Kelly

InLimbo87

I know that the blue throat triggers (specifically the females), are the most docile and most suitable for reef tanks. They stay on the smaller side for triggers, at a max size of about 9". Is this for your 44 gallon? If so, a trigger is not going to be an option for you. If you're looking into aggresive fish you could go with a dwarf fuzzy lion.

InLimbo87

Cardinals, blennies, gobies, sixline wrasse. All are pretty hardy fish that would be the correct size for your tank. Anything bigger, such as triggers, tangs,etc are too small for a 44 gallon (especially a hex with limited swimming room).

lcstorc

I wouldn't add the sixline early since they can be quite agressive. They should be added towards the end of your fishy additions. They are very cool fish, but mine chases any newcomers pretty badly.

InLimbo87

Good point on that one. I put mine in as the last fish, and he was smaller than the others. Never had any problems that way, but I can see how it could become a problem when they are all first introduced.