What is reefing to you?

elliottb

How and why did you get involves in this amazing hobby?

For me, I got in 3 years ago because at my LFS there was a damsel tank and I thought how cool it would be to have some colorful fish like that. Well, obviously knowing nothing about damsels, I got a damsel and it lasted 3 years. It got a disease when I was a away for a weekend and came back to the fish barely alive. I ended its suffering by putting it in the freezer for a few minutes. I am glad I do not have it anymore!
After I got the damsel everything progressed into a full reef system, 3 tanks and a sump.

elliottb

Being with me for 3 years, he deserved a little ceremony....

100_2063.jpg

100_2067.jpg

lcstorc

Mine started with hermit crabs I let the kids bring home from a vacation. Before I knew it the crabs had a 20g tank. Then it was half sand and half water so the crabs could go where they wanted. Then there was a fish in the water. Then there were 2. (Damsels of course. Then there was this great deal on a used tank with "everything". Little did I know how much was not there.
Anyway 3 years and now I have the 125 that was the "deal" then a 90g then the 20 got set up again with 2 clowns and a RBTA.
Not to mention a web site to become addicted to as well and all my friends here.
I had no idea what I was getting into but I am glad I did.

JustDavidP

For me, it is making up for my "Curveball" tossed to me as a teen. Having spent all my Summers on Cape Cod, living and loving the oceans, I always wanted to attend and was headed to Woods Hole Oceanographic Institute, when my father was diagnosed with a brain tumor. There goes the family funds, and my opportunity.

It's a hobby that gives me time to think of dad, think of myself, you, and our whole placement in the scheme of this third rock from the sun. It is a chance for me to learn, and educate at the same time. It's a chance to share ideas, share a common interest....to just share. It may be damned close to a religion ;)

It is also a replacement for every vice I had to give up to get a job with the DoD ;)

Dave

CATALYST

For my sanity...ha hah hah.

It's relaxing to sit and watch the fish though.

Good bye little damsel

deaclauderdale

It was the trips to Jamaica to visit my step-dads family. All the time we spent in and around the ocean, viewing the beauty that God created was fun and exciting. I always wanted to bring a little piece home but fresh water was the highly touted hobby back in the early 90's. Now that I'm older and the technology has made the hobby more easily accessible I had to try realizing my dream and so the tankwas born.