What is my Caulerpa doing?

Mebigloser

What is my caulerpa doing, this just started today. See the little white things sticky out of the plant, is it going sexual? If so why?

How often do you prune it back?
Mine has done that, but after I cut back on pruning it. I think it is just die off...mine has never gone sexual after appearing
that way.

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
Ohhh, I see the "hair like" things sticking out... very interesting. It seems to be only on the yellow parts (not on the white or green). I don't have any grape caulerpa but maybe someone else does. I'll tag along~

I missed that! I thought you were talking about the "grapes" turning white. hmmm?
could be a warning sign. Mine has NOT done that.

Boomer

Reef Sanctuary's Mr. Wizard
They are just Rhizoids, which are rootlike extensions that absorb water, food, and nutrients. Unlike in most plants, Caulerpa's do not have a root system. Instead, regularly spaced rhizoid descend vertically from the stolons. They can be few centimeters long, these stuctures branch up into extremely thin filamentous rhizoids. They can also penetrate through the substrate and thus stabilizing the algae. Sometimes you just don't see them or there is less of a need for them thus less of them.