What is in my water?

Couch

OK I have a question... I have niticed over the last couple of days that, although my water is crystal, there are many noticeable particals suspended in the water. I recently added 3 feather dusters, 1 blue urchin, a deep sea yellow gorgonian, 6 shaving brushes, and 1 saltwater fern. The latter 2 to my new refugium. I have never noticed these particles before. Any thoughts on this? Mostly seem to be whiteish...

Warnberg

particulos anoyanis..... also know as floaties...

:LOL:

Might be a small amount of calcium precip happening. Did you do any water changes lately? and what is your calcium and alk levels?

rDr4g0n

geez warnburg were not all geniuses like you!

i have particle storms in my water whenever i move stuff or reposition powerheads. its probably just detritus or sand that hasnt settled since youre recent additions.

vdituri

Just a weird question, but how many times do we use the word detritrus outside the reef? Not making fun, but it just struck me. I read it, I understand it, and I type it, but if you said it in public how many people would look and stare?

:smirk:

boozeman

vdituri;249563... but if you said it in public how many people would look and stare? :smirk:[/QUOTE said:
or ''reef'' statements like 'help, I've got crabs'' or ''reef complements'' like ' my thats a a big conch you have there' :D

Couch

OK, I think most of it is coming from the feather dusters.. What is this spider web looking stuff they spit out? It is all over my gorgonian and finger leather. Should I ditch the dusters?

lcstorc

I've never had any problems with my feather dusters. From what I have read they are harmless filter feeders. Are you sure that is where it is coming from?

Warnberg

Just about anything and everything in our tanks expel something and it floats around for a while until something either decides to eat it, it gets filtered out or it settles into one of those dreaded dead spots. Unless it's a major issue I wouldn't worry about it.

Couch

Well just got home this morning and its all gone..:) Think I will keep them for a while. Yeah, I am pretty sure it is them because it appeared to be coming from its mouth, but if it goes away this quick it can not be too bad.