What is growing on my green brain?

Ashr

Hey all

Hoping someone can help me out. This looks like some kind of algae. Any ideas?

Up close it really looks like little fuzzes (red)

Thanks in advance.

P1010817.jpg

P1010818.jpg

Corailline

Looks like cyanobacteria attempting to grow on an area of exposed skeleton. It maybe just the images but the corals looks bleached and in the beginnings of tissue recession.

Corailline

Seems my red brain could also be doing the same thing...:(

You could look it like as a LPS version, but STN (slow tissue narcrosis), would probably be closer. Perhaps post an image of the other coral, current water parameters, age of tank and lighting will help to assist you further.

In my experience this coral is easily photo shocked and will bleach and begin to receed. They can make a come back if placement is adjusted and supplemental feedings are provided. You can train the coral to eat by offering small amount of meaty seafoods like mysis, waiting for a feeding response and then providing another very sm. amount of food to the tentacles. Much easier to do in either a low area or with pumps off. You can also enclose the coral with in a empty liter coke bottle cut in half to contain the food and allow the coral ample to feed.

Ashr

Tank Info:

RSM 130 Had running since May 2010
T5 lighting
1.026 SG
0.00 Phosphate
0.00 Ammonia, nitrates and nitrites
460 Cal
6-7 Alk

All other coral in the tank seem to be doing fine expect some of my sea grass ( star polyps seem burnt,dead)
I have been dosing with Part A and Part B ESV B-Ionic Calcium Buffer System. ESV B-Ionic Calcium Buffer System Concentrate (2 x 1 Gallon)

I also feed the coral at night with shrimp or phytoplankton etc. Also add Reef Plus Seachem. Reef Plus

Ashr

I did do a 10% water change today. One more tomorrow too... I dunno what could be wrong but i think something is..

Corailline

Placement looks good. And the red one looks like it is not doing too badly. For feedings it should be larger pieces of meaty seafoods, phytoplankton will not cut it for these corals. It has been my experience that this coral does not like over polished water or use of a lot of carbon and some nitrates are better than none. Since it appears to be a slow decline my money is on insufficient nutrition from a low nutrient system and decreased food source. JMC

Ashr

Thanks for the info Corailline! I will do more feeding of the meaty foods.

i wanted to add I am running CP Elite and just added some chaeto(spelling?) to the tank..

Corailline

No I would not removing either, just focus on directly feeding the corals. I use both chempure elite and chaeto and love both. It is really hard to find a balance sometimes between exporting nutrients and leaving enough to not starve the corals. LPS corals can make amazing recoveries and I think too many people just give up on a declining piece when all it need was some aggressive feeding for awhile. Just watch your parameter. It does take some time to see a feeding response initially but with repeated attempts the corals usually catches on and eats very well. They have the ability to digest food for a reason, if they were solely dependent on light they would not respond so positively to routine feeding, nor would they have the anatomy that it takes to digest food.

Ashr

They only stopped opening when I moved them from a less flow area. They are starting to look much better today.