What is going on with anem.

Debby

Help two days ago my anem shrunk up and started movin after staying in one spot for over a year. as of last nite can not find her ay all.Here is a pic of her the nite befor moving.I am not real sure but looks like she has two mouths and is trying to split.Any advise.

Picture072.jpg

degibson84

my father in law had a nem move and ended up settling under a rock and just the tips stick out form underneath

rmlevasseur

Can't be sure, but i assume that picture shows the foot, which seems to be decomposing in the upper center. Be prepared to pull it out fast. In my experience, not many anemones will completely detach and float around to get from point A to B, although it has been reported. Most will slowly crawl. That foot looks like it has a tear and can't attach.

My RBTA came from the store with a torn foot. I placed it in the crook of some rock and adjusted the flow so to not blow it out. It took about 3 weeks to completely heal, at which point it reattached and moved on its own again. I'm thinking if your is a BTA is may also be fairly bleached, but can't see much of the tentacles. Most BTAs don't have such white feet.

rmlevasseur

In that picture the foot is attached? Looks to me that he is holding the rock by the tentacles and not the foot.

Debby

well i have found her under a ledge netted her out does not have a smell to it about the size of a fifty cent piece.after looking closer to the pic i think rmlevasseur is right. i placed it in a bag and have it floating.I do not have a quaranteen tank.any advise on what to do now? I worried about her dyeing and nooking tank.but then again dont want to hurt her if she just having a couple of bad days.

lcstorc

Well, you would have known if she was dead.
I'm not sure what to do next. Do you have a strawberry basket or some other container that allows flow but will keep her more or less against a rock?
Maybe she would attach herself.

rmlevasseur

I'm sorry debby but that does not look good. I'm sorry to sound pessimistic, but unfortunately I have seen a few like that and have always had to flush them.

If you really wanted to give something a try, you could soak it in a bucket with antibiotics, but that really is a last ditch effort. Another thing you could try if you are really brave is fragging the thing and trying your best to get a portion of the mouth and none of the part that is deteriorating. But both of these are really shots in the dark.

Debby

robert thank you for advise... I dont have a clue about fragging.how long can i keep it in the bag.Hard to beleive this guy is my aviator.so mayby im at the end with her and need to get rid of her?

rmlevasseur

I have never seen them come back from that condition. Its not going to get better in the bag, just stops it from polluting your tank. I've never fragged a nem myself, although it is fairly common with BTA's, but even then I've never heard of it being done with one already in poor health. Since it can be done and it looks like yours won't make it anyway I just thought maybe it would be worth a try. Basically you just take sharp scissors and snip it so a portion of the mouth is in the snip. And I'd think you'd want to avoid any parts with necrosis. But in all honesty, I highly doubt it would work. If you can QT it that's probably your best bet. Frequent water changes and maybe put an antibiotic in the water.

Debby

well robert i loaded her up and took her to lfs here only have one so they know me REAL good lol...they put her in one of there holding tanks to watch her.said she is very unhappy for some reason. so now i feel better. mayby she will pull through if not at least it wont hurt my tank or theres since shes by herself with one piece of liverock.

rmlevasseur

That is AWESOME of your LFS to take a sick nem. Kudos to them! I wish you the best. If you lived closer me I'd give you a nice rose, as mine looks like it will split any day.

Have tou seen Karen's Rose Anemone site? Google it. Great site.

Debby

well of course you would live on the other side of the world LOL.i would love to have another one just wish i knew what pissed her off.she stayed in same place for over a year.again thankyou for all your help.
Debby