What is a good lighting system for a 46 gallon bow?

Hey guys,
I have a question about what a good lighting system for a 46 gallon bow tank. See i have a Florissant system and a T5 HO system a white light and blue only two bulbs and the Florissant system is 38 watts and the t5 system is 79watts (39x2) is that good and if not could i just add another t5 system to it and it would be good.And if thats is not enough what would be good for it that is cheap or not the most expensive thing.

DaveK

Before any lighting questions can really be answered, you first need to know what you want to keep in the tank. You'll need very little light for fish, only a modest amount for soft corals, and zoas, more for LPS corals, and extremely good lighting for SPS corals and clams.

For what you have, and considering that you don't want to spend a lot more money, I add an additional 2 bulb 38 watt T5 fluorescent fixture to your tank. This is provided that it will fit and that the existing fixture is of decent quality.

If that is not possible, I'd get a 4 bulb 38 watt T5 fluorescent fixture. This would give you reasonable light and the price wouldn't be too bad, about $250 to $350 depending on manufacturer and options.

ok what I am curently keeping is a LPS flower pot coral and a stalk coral some zoas and a BTA thats the problem im worried about the BTA.

PIMPALA

I would suggest a 4 bulb T5. you wont be able to get anything much bigger on that tank, due to the narrow sides.

I have been there, done that. I switched from T5 to a 250w MH and T5 combo light. It melted the center brace, and all of my water ended up on the floor.

Stick to T5s.

BLADEYAMAHA

I would suggest a 4 bulb T5. you wont be able to get anything much bigger on that tank, due to the narrow sides.

I have been there, done that. I switched from T5 to a 250w MH and T5 combo light. It melted the center brace, and all of my water ended up on the floor.

Stick to T5s.

Wow! Great Advice! I'm thinking about finding a 72 bowfront and I needed to know this badly.

PIMPALA

if you do a 72, and you want to run MH, its not a problem as long as you run 2 bulbs (its a 4' tank) so you can do one over each side.

the 46 is a 36" tank, and pretty much no matter what MH fixture you do, its gonna get that center brace hot.