WHAT GIVES?!? I did a massive water change CORRECTLY and the tests are still way off!

:banghead::banghead:

I am SO frustrated!!:verymad::verymad:I have ich in my 65 gallon saltwater tank so I caught all my fish and followed the instructions I was given by this site to handle and treat ich. I'm following the copper test using SeaChem Cup...something or other...don't have bottle in front of me but it was what was in the forum someone gave me to follow. Ok, so I got all my fish 7 fish in a 15 gallon tank...yea I KNOW it's small for them but that's all I got. So, I did a massive water change of 80% cause the nitrites were showing .25 and there was a trace of ammonia not big enough to register on test but color was off. and the PH was lower..lik 8.0.

OK after big water change and gave fish relax time I checked my tank again...about 4 hours later. PH is reading 7.8 to 8.0 in between the numbers and still a trace of nitrite .25 and ammonia was 0 but the color was a little off. Only good news was nitrate was lower than I've seen in a long time!!

:soap: :dunno::dunno: So what am I doing wrong again? How do I bring up the PH and get rid of the nitrites and ammonia if massive water changes aren't doing it and I don't have anywhere to put the fish other than that tank??:hammerhea::verymad: I just feel like I'm goin down hill instead of actually helping the fish I'm hurting them more!!:sinking::drown: Okay I give up!!:surrender::surrender::help::help:

I need gills

Has been struck by the ban stick
Is the prob the water quality or the ich on the fish, plus you shouldn't have nitrites unless ur tank was still cycling

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

StirCrayzy

Re: WHAT GIVES?!? I did a massive water change CORRECTLY and the tests are still way

Relax, take a breath, focus. What exactly is the problem? Ich? Are you sure?
Read here .. http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums/fish-diseases-treatments/23132-marine-ich-myths-facts.html

Are you treating the 15g with cupramine? If so you may have WCd away the medication.
http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums...ents/23130-copper-treatment-use-problems.html

Be sure the copper concentration is correct using a test lit. My guess is you will need to raise it after an 80% WC

lcstorc

Re: WHAT GIVES?!? I did a massive water change CORRECTLY and the tests are still way

Since it is a QT/Hospital tank it is a lot harder to control. Did you add any biological filtration? (I keep a sponge or filter wheel in my sump for just such occasions) If you have a sponge or something from your DT put it in to get some bio-filtration going.
PH between 7.8 and 8.0 is not a concern but you are doing the right thing with the water changes.
Here is Lee's link to help with step by step instructions and details.
http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums/fish-diseases-treatments/52236-curing-fish-marine-ich.html
http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums.../23584-fish-quarantine-process-step-step.html

StirCrayzy

By changing a couple gallons a day, you should be able to keep levels consistent. The biggest thing to watch is ammonia and PH. If you vacuum out the excess food and poo, you really shouldnt have many problems chemically. And yes the couple gallons should include the food and poo.:yup:
Im not sure if buffering PH during treatment is safe or not maybe someone else can chime in.
If ammonia is 0 whats the problem with it?
What exactly are the nitrates reading, and what test kit are you using?

Alf

Exactly what is your water change process?
Did you balance the temp?
If there was ammo and nitrites, then the tank was in a mini/cycle any thing die lately?
How long has the tank been setup?
Added anything new lately?

OK I'm breathing....long deep breathes. Yes I am pretty sure it is ICK. Like 98% sure. White little spots all over my purple tang and other fish visiting my cleaner shrimp more often and the fact that I lost my puffer 2 days ago and someone asked me if it was ick then and i said no cause I didn't see any white spots. I only see the spots on my tang but he always gets the spots first. :cursin::cursin: My Large shrimp goby was having the cleaner shrimp clean it's gills before I removed him from tank

As far as water quality goes...It's RO water from a store. I have city water and I know not to use that. I just don't know how to raise my PH or how to get rid of nitrites. Granted it isn't that high that's good but I don't want to get it high.

I also Tested my copper and the test registered between .2 and .25 after water change.

I'm just really scared, I don't want to lose my fish!! :dunno::dunno::cursin:

Puffer died 2 days ago..strangly cause water was perfect in DT. Then tang got spots and I had ick before and OMG it's so hard to get rid of!!! I lost 7 fish last time. which is 2 more than I have now if I lose that many again. :(

I did not add any new items lately. I had a old puffer that dies unexpectedly for no reason...he was all puffed up like this one was...not fully puffed up but like bloated. Strange.

Then everyone was fine til this other puffer died. First puffer died 3 days after Mother's day and the other puffer died 2-3 days ago. Wow i don't remember..i know it was 2 or 3 days ago.

Anyway...QT was NOT set up...after I handled the last ick out break I took down QT cause I didn't add any more fish nor was I. So I kept sponge filter with air pump in 2 ziplock bags like pet store told me to and then I set up QT by adding water from DT and putting in sponge and air pump.

Added reef salt with no nitrates or phosphors to store bought RO water and read instruction on how to mix the salt...brought it to temp then added it slowly. Salt levels are 1.021. in tank currently

Current tests results

PH about 8.0 but on the lighter side. Closer to 7.8
Ammonia is 0 but I think there is a trace...slightly green
Nitrite is .25
Nitrate is 20
Copper is .25

How do I raise PH? Better question How do I not kill my fish and KILL the ick? :help:

sasquatch

Brunt of all Jokes~
PREMIUM

can't offer any promises on not losing fish, the qt is very small for that number of fish, as your display tank will have to remain empty for 10 weeks Id say you have a problem, you can use rubbermaid containers, they are cheaper than an aquarium and you can at least get some water volume in there, I know your trying to do the right thing its just not quite the right way, your never going to keep the toxins managed in that small a tank, the more mess from them and food the faster the ph will drop. Slap me for saying this, its ok... put the fish back in the display, prepare for a correct treatment and start over

What?!? Put them back in DT?!? Seriously?? Hey your in Canada..I'm in Michigan...Wanna come over and bring a good QT for me to burrow? I'll bring it back I promise. :grind:

Bearjohnson

PREMIUM
RS Ambassador

I keep my copper level between .25 and .50 when treating and also keep the salinity level on the lower side.. I'll generally run at that level for two straight weeks then try to maintain as close to .25 as possible for another 2 weeks. With a 15 gallon tank you should be fine with a 5 gallon WC every other day. Just try to make sure you're not over feeding. At the end of 4 weeks depending on the filter i'm using at the time I'll either add carbon to slowly remove the copper or I'll water change it out of the system over a week to 10 days as well as raise the salinity level to the same sg as the DT.

Your situation is different due to the fact that you'll need to keep those fish in the QT for a minimum of 2 months in order to eliminate it from the DT.

So for that I'd treat the first month as stated above but for the 2nd month of QT I'd keep the copper level at around .25 for 2 weeks and then slowly remove the copper and raise the salinity as well over the last 2 weeks of the 2nd month.

Keep things as calm as possible for the sick and don't over feed and all should be fine.

Ick sucks and I'm sorry to hear you're going through this but it sounds like you have a decent handle on things so just wait it out and all should be fine.

I hope this helps. GL

sasquatch

Brunt of all Jokes~
PREMIUM

What?!? Put them back in DT?!? Seriously?? Hey your in Canada..I'm in Michigan...Wanna come over and bring a good QT for me to burrow? I'll bring it back I promise. :grind:
lol, I grew up in Windsor so I know all about you Mitchiganers haha, put my mind at ease and give us a picture of the qt

Bodger

What is your alkalinity? If you are making large water changes with ro water and not buffering it that may be causing you some serious problems.

By the way guys, think about cutting down your huge signatures, it makes it a lot tougher for people to give you help.

Doogle

Michiganders,haven't heard that in a while sas, how many campsites did you crash while you were here?lol do michiganders' taste like chicken? I think sas is right personally. I'd get a big rubbermaid tub or a trash container of some kind, u can always use it for something later, like mixing salt or something. Good luck-Michigan Mike

dmatt88

Has been struck by the ban stick
Ah. Growing up in Ann arbor Michigan its good to hear Michigander. Bravo Steve. Bravo.

........I have nothing intelligent left to say.

Bodger

My thoughts - your nitrite test may be at fault, check the instructions and try another. That big a water change is hard to do precisely, and is likely to do more harm than good, I'd consider 40% or 50% a maximum.

And don't forget your sg, keep it constant when doing water changes and make sure you measure at the same temperature

Last edited:

sasquatch

Brunt of all Jokes~
PREMIUM

raised on Mo town and cruised 9 mile, earl schrives and tiger stadium, detroit auto shows were awesome and then sadly sat on the garage roof and watched the city burn,kinda miss Big Boy

Bearjohnson

PREMIUM
RS Ambassador

My thoughts - your nitrite test may be at fault, check the instructions and try another. That big a water change is hard to do precisely, and is likely to do more harm than good, I'd consider 40% or 50% a maximum.

And don't forget your sig

Just out of curiosity, what exactly does the signature have to do with helping someone with a tank issue?