What fish to finish off my Red Sea max 130?

I'm thinking of what fish to finish my Red Sea 130 with~

I'm deciding between
•royal gramma basslet
•purple tang
•anthias?

Or something else~

Umm how do I post a poll...:confused:

Last edited:

Mayja

Social Media Moderator
RS STAFF
We'll need to know what's currently in your tank now in order to help.

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
I'd suggest the ROYAL GRAMMA Basslet.
Mine adds bright color, gets along with all my other fish, stays out during the day (unless frightened)....won't out grow your 130D. That's my opinion. Let us know what you get ;)

Last edited:
Gramma would sound great~but problem is they cost heaps here :( I read that it costs like $20 in us? I wish I could buy one for that price here hehe~

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
Gramma would sound great~but problem is they cost heaps here :( I read that it costs like $20 in us? I wish I could buy one for that price here hehe~

I've seen Royal Gramma Basslets as cheap as $10. ea here.
WA--Australia I assume instead of Perth WA (Washington USA)
Are all fish expensive there? I can tell you the Royal Gramma is considered easy & peaceful. A good fish to have...how much are they where you buy fish?

Yea most fish are expensive here eg.
•desjardini tangs go for $110-150
•mandarinfish go for $50-60
•percula clownfishes go for $45-70
•yellow tangs go for $100-150
•decora gobies $60

david42

My personal favorite is the Yellow Watchman Goby and Tiger Pistol shrimp pair.
That's all I have right now. Giving them time before I add more. My shrimp was in the water less than a minute before he started digging out his home. Awesome to watch.

BasaReef

Black capped basslet, Midas blenny are cool choices but expensive also.
Careful with the Goby/Pistol shrimp pair.
I have the pairing for 1 month now, boy do they make a mess of the tank. Pistol works nonstop. sand on all the rocks, moves coral frags.
Not a good idea if you want a cleaner look to the floor of the tank or if you have plate corals.
But very cool if you dont mind a messy tank floor as they provide a lot action.
Frankly, I'm ready to give my goby/shrimp pair away

reefer gladness

Well, you're not gonna like my answer but... you're already fully stocked IMO with 5 fish in a tank that size.

Your tank is too small to consider tangs and not recommended for anthias either.

A site like http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/aquarium-fish-supplies.cfm?c=15+16 has info for more fish choices and information about appropriate tank sizes, compatible fish, etc.

PS - ocellaris and perculas are two different varieties of amphiprion. Sounds like you have 2 ocellaris and 1 perc. Not sure how long they've been together but I would be wary of problems as they mature if they're not a mated pair.

Well, you're not gonna like my answer but... you're already fully stocked IMO with 5 fish in a tank that size.

Your tank is too small to consider tangs and not recommended for anthias either.

A site like http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/aquarium-fish-supplies.cfm?c=15+16 has info for more fish choices and information about appropriate tank sizes, compatible fish, etc.

PS - ocellaris and perculas are two different varieties of amphiprion. Sounds like you have 2 ocellaris and 1 perc. Not sure how long they've been together but I would be wary of problems as they mature if they're not a mated pair.

The perc was a gift from my dad :smack: but they've been living in the same anem since January~ but if I do see aggression,I'll separate them

The reason looking on having a final fish is because I've sold offs dwarf lionfish *after he nibbled my mandarins fins and ate my Bangaii....he was the only fish in the open, the clowns and their anem is at the back, the dragonet always disappears,and the angelfish is always busy :white:

I do water changes every week :) so I guess it should be fine to have one more fish:shades:

Black capped basslet, Midas blenny are cool choices but expensive also.
Careful with the Goby/Pistol shrimp pair.
I have the pairing for 1 month now, boy do they make a mess of the tank. Pistol works nonstop. sand on all the rocks, moves coral frags.
Not a good idea if you want a cleaner look to the floor of the tank or if you have plate corals.
But very cool if you dont mind a messy tank floor as they provide a lot action.
Frankly, I'm ready to give my goby/shrimp pair away

Wow, that bad? I guess I'll skip the goby/shrimp because I have a zoa carpet on my sandbed hehe~

go with the gramma very fun to watch. A big no on the purple tang tank no way near big enough..

*sigh*...there was a guy on gumtree selling a juvenile purple tang for $80 though... I guess if he'll get too big in a short time, I'll take tangs off the list:tears:

Bicolor or Midas blenny are fun to watch. Tangs are out in my opinion. We had a 130 as well and really wanted a tang but decided against it. Firefish would be cool. No anthias either. Gobies are cool too.

Matt

I like the fire gobies but I heard they like to pick on copepods too, so a potential competitor to my mandarin dragonet, I saw a Midas Blenny in my LFS yesterday, it was quite funny :)

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
I like the fire gobies but I heard they like to pick on copepods too, so a potential competitor to my mandarin dragonet, I saw a Midas Blenny in my LFS yesterday, it was quite funny :)

I have a Golden Midas Blenny & IT'S AN AWESOME little character! That would be a good choice also :D
Here's mine:
null_zpsdd112875.png

He had a full belly from eating a seaweed sheet...
And here he is in his "cammo Jammie's" right when the tanks lights get dim:
null_zps7f9e297f.png

Real neat fish to have :D

Bicolor or Midas blenny are fun to watch. Tangs are out in my opinion. We had a 130 as well and really wanted a tang but decided against it. Firefish would be cool. No anthias either. Gobies are cool too.

Matt

I have a Golden Midas Blenny & IT'S AN AWESOME little character! That would be a good choice also :D
Here's mine:
null_zpsdd112875.png

He had a full belly from eating a seaweed sheet...
And here he is in his "cammo Jammie's" right when the tanks lights get dim:
null_zps7f9e297f.png

Real neat fish to have :D

Your Midas looks relaxed under that coral~hehe,

But I'm wondering, they are sandsifters aren't they? Wouldn't that mean they'll gulp down copepods too?:confused:

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
Your Midas looks relaxed under that coral~hehe,

But I'm wondering, they are sandsifters aren't they? Wouldn't that mean they'll gulp down copepods too?:confused:

Nope, the Midas Blenny will NOT mess up your sand bed. They don't eat pods either (unless they swim in he water column, which they don't that I've seen on a regular basis). My Golden Midas swims in eel like fashion when it's not perched on it's favorite rock by the toadstool leather coral. It changes color from day (bright yellow to peachy yellow) to night (brown blotchy cammo). Gets along well with others except other Blennies...so only one per tank in most cases. Like I said before, they are a neat fish to have. :D :fishy2:

Nope, the Midas Blenny will NOT mess up your sand bed. They don't eat pods either (unless they swim in he water column, which they don't that I've seen on a regular basis). My Golden Midas swims in eel like fashion when it's not perched on it's favorite rock by the toadstool leather coral. It changes color from day (bright yellow to peachy yellow) to night (brown blotchy cammo). Gets along well with others except other Blennies...so only one per tank in most cases. Like I said before, they are a neat fish to have. :D :fishy2:

That's great:) I guess that'll be the fish I'll be looking for next~:D

Thanks!
I'm still trying to post pics of my tank but still don't know how hehe~..:confused: