what does your yellow goby eat?

strat

i recently purchased a yellow goby (gobiodon okinawae) and he isnt really eating much and he's looking thin. the only thing i have seen him eat is some scallop meat but i was wondering what any of you have had success with and if you have any tips for me, thanks :D

ps any favorite mush recipes or links would be great. ill be doing uo my first batch this weekend..

cheers

kris :thumbup:

Chiefmcfuz

My Yellow watchman eats regular store bought fish food. Right from the start he has done this. I also throw in a treat of daphnia, wardley shrimp pellets, Algae wafers, Dried sea weed, or spirulina flakes sometimes and he seems to like them all.

mattie

RS Sponsor
these small gobbies are picky eaters and do best in a well established aquarium
and will starve out if stressed by other fish or if out competed for food
the easiest thing for them is to not have anything else in the tank that eats pods like a mandarin or a wrasse and allow them to feed on the micro fuana in the tank naturally .. if your tanks been running over 6 mo's and you have no fish that would be territorial in the tank they should be self sufficent on there own with out to much concern about direct feeding.... but sometimes in a smaller tank one will become domiant and stress out the others
best thing if they are looking skinny for now is feed live brine with the pumps off and remove anything uneaten if possible before turning pumps back on.

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
My yellow gobie ate my homemade mush really well.

My recipe is different each time i make it. I actually made a new batch just lastnight and chose to put a whole block of frozen cyclopeeze in it this time instead of just a little. I was afraid the CBB would not like it but she LOVES it! Yippie!! This recipe consisted of (all fresh ingredients):
1/2 lb of fresh shrimp (shelled)
1/4 lb of salmon
1/4 lb of red tuna
12 mussles
3 large scallops
2 sheets of green nori
1 block of cyclopeeze
(no garlic this time.. I forgot)

Soaked all ingredients (except nori & cyclopeeze) in ro/di for 15-20 min, throw it all in a food processor adding ro/di water as need to keep a thick paste consistancy, spoon into thin flat sheets using freezer bags, freeze, then break into small chunks and place in another freezer bag. Keep frozen and thaw one chunk at a time as needed for feeding~~

Shells

I had a yellow watchman goby in my last tank. He'd eat
live brine shrimp, or brine plus or daphne..=) Are there other
fish that are possibly making him nervous?
I use to add fish ease, or something like that (Forgive me as I cant remember the name..)whenever i had new fish...this seemed to help them transition to my tank. An example,
My LFS guy gave me a manderine fish that someone turned
into him. The fish was very skinny. I used the 'fish ease' and
feed him live brine and he came back to health.
I wish i could remember the name of that stuff, maybe
somebody can help me out...:)
PS. Is your goby showing signs of disease?

corvettephreek

i had a yellow watchman goby that loved pods.... natural or cyclopeeze. i had a white watchman that ate mysis like no tomorrow, and when i chopped up scallops and salad shrimp he would go to town on them. my gobies got very skinny and both completely disappeared, i think mostly because of my pod population was not adequate, or something in the water. good luck!!!

cheeks69

Wannabe Guru
RS STAFF
The yellow watchman aka {Cryptocentrus cinctus} is a very hardy fish and will eat anything unlike the Yellow Clown Goby {gobiodon okinawae}. I agree with Mattie you need a mature tank with plenty of fauna.

strat

again, thanks for all the help. :D im going to try to get some cyclopeze this weekend and do up some mush similar to woodies, (thanks). about the nori, is it bad to used the roasted stuff?

btw, he isnt showing any sign of disease and there are only two ocellaris clowns in the tank with him... his stomach is a little sucked in tho...

hopefully i can fatten him up. one more thing, where should i look to see if i have any pods? havent noticed anything yet and its a new tank but with 8 year old rock (live and cured)

thanks so mcuh

kris

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
When you heat/cook food, the nutrient value goes down. I always try to buy the dried not baked nori.

Pods? Look in your tank around the rocks and the bottom of the tank at night once the lights have been off for an hour or so... use a flashlight. I bet you'll see lots of critters racing around~

mps9506

strat said:
btw, he isnt showing any sign of disease and there are only two ocellaris clowns in the tank with him... his stomach is a little sucked in tho...

These guys are commonly captured with cyanide due to the difficulty in collecting them even though they are relatively common. The habitat is difficult to capture them in, therefore they are squirted with a little poison and float out and bagged up.
My best advice with these guys is to always purchase one that is already eating. I would have to say about 30-50% of the clown gobies I purchase from wholesalers or transhippers do not make it past a week in captivity because they come in already shriveled up and emaciated past the point of being sellable.
The negative part of being in the marine ornamentals trade....

Barcochris

Can you feed the mush to any fish? I ahve clown fish and I would like to very there diet insted of just mysis shrimp

mps9506

Mush is aimed at feeding the tank IMO. It feeds the fish, corals, filter feeders and all the microfauna. If you are feeding fish only I would just feeding something more meaty, and help keep the tank cleaner.
JMO though.