What does everyone run for filtering water

dmatt88

Has been struck by the ban stick
It'll have to run its course. A good cuc keeps ur sand moving.

..........reefing. not for the faint of heart.

Doogle

Thought you like this poor mans water purifier
DFBD71D8.jpg

degibson84

so i decided to siphon one side of the tank sand to see what happens. I have a good CUC from reefcleaners but they dont touch the sand other than right along the glass. the nass snails never come out the just stay along the back of the tank where this stuff isn't even at. the nerites stay on the glass 90% of them all huddled in the same spot.

StirCrayzy

My sand has never looked better since adding nass snails.
They go wherever theyre most comfortable.
Mine come out in a herd at feeding time.

degibson84

ok so after doing my WC friday and siphoning the sand on just one half of the tank the brown stuff is already back but not as bad as the side i haven't siphoned. would adding a goby help stir this up even though i have Crushed coral sized dolomite?

redneckgearhead

Do you have some flow on your sand? With substrate that size you should be able to have some flow on the snd, and that should help

degibson84

just a little update. i have been keeping up on my 11 gallon water change schedule and still siphoning sand just to try and remove as much as i can. still slightly brown but not nearly as bad as it has been. I think the silicates may be about used up

StirCrayzy

There are a lot of options for scrubbers now, and they are great at removing excess nutrients.
Cant imagine we havent discussed that yet, but now im too lazy to go check. ;)

degibson84

So after the last few weeks without running carbon the diatoms cleared but now on my main peice of lr I'm starting to get hair algae. I had to remove the carbon to try to clear up the hlle my Koran was getting. That cleared but i dont want to add the carbon back and risk hlle coming back stronger. Currently running bulk gfo in the canister, bak pak skimmer and hob fuge with cheato. All params trate trite and ammonia are zero. I have no phos test kit. What can be causing the hair algae now? This just popped up within the last few days as it wasnt there Friday during wc. Is there anything I can do to nip it before it gets outta control?

redneckgearhead

Water changes. This sounds like the normal "cycle" of algae blooms on a "new" tank set up. I would add some phosban just because. Your numbers will almost always be 0's if you have HA. It is very very good at consuming N/P.

reefin101

Based on title of thread:

Drain felt filter sock(swapped 3-4days), SRO XP 3000E skimmer, 1.5c Rox.08 carbon swapped 3-4weeks.
WC 10% every 3-4mos.
Thats IT!

degibson84

Water changes. This sounds like the normal "cycle" of algae blooms on a "new" tank set up. I would add some phosban just because. Your numbers will almost always be 0's if you have HA. It is very very good at consuming N/P.
im using BRS bulk GFO have been since we moved the tank to my house

degibson84

does anyone think that upgrading the skimmer from a bak pak to a remora will help? also had some credit with the store so i threw in some seachem seagel LMK what you guys think

theplantman

Not familiar with a bak pak, did run an aquac remora on my 30 gal cube that was heavily stocked and it was a great skimmer. Takes a day or so to break in but after that it is a workhorse. I could skim wet or dry by adjusting the height on the skimmate cup. Easily cleaned as well and easy to adjust. I believe it is rated for up to 75 gallon tank but wouldn't push that limit myself. I prefer to oversize my equipment.