What do you guys think of this? Too expensive or good price?

Hey guys, I'm lookin to purchase a large tank for my basement. Here's a link to a 240 on craigslist. I'm gonna have to buy a used tank and this one just came up a couple days ago. It has a wet/dry unit in the stand and from the looks of the pictures doesn't have overflows which concerns me a little. Anyway, looking for some opinions. I'm going to go look at it here in a few hours. Thanks everyone for your help and input.

Fish Tank 240 gallon Saltwater Aquarium

lcstorc

Obviously set up as a FO system. You would basically be able to use the tank and the stand and the rest would pretty much be of no use for a reef other than perhaps a pump or powerhead and perhaps some of the rock if he hasn't been taking it out and bleaching it like many do.
I honestly don't know how you would do an external overflow on that size of tank but I am sure it is possible. I know the lighting could be upgraded and you could always improve the flow.

seafansar

Do you want it as a FO or reef tank?
If you're wanting a reef tank, I'd wait for a better set up. Overflow boxes are a PITA! And you'd need better lighting. Also ask if the owner ever used copper medicines in the tank.

blue_eyes53813

I think it would be good.. It is a farelly good price too. I paid 1200.00 just for my tank.... Overflow boxes arent that bad either... It can be done.... Good luck

very good points guys, thank you very much. i don't think it has an external overflow or a sump or fuge. i'd like to do a large reef setup, but even a fowlr would be nice too. I think it has a wet/dry filtration system with bioballs inside the stand. Still waiting to hear back on it. I'll keep updating as i go along.

thanks
Andrew

BigJay

The rocks actually look pretty good IMO. 1400 for 250 pounds of live rock would be around $6 a pound so think of it that way. I imagine the lights are not adequate for most reef situations so your going to shell out some dough. All that being said I see so many tanks within the 1500-2000 price range on craiglist that are true complete reefs. But they are usually 150g or less. Since your going to have to take the tank down anyway just drill that baby.

EDIT- you could also sell the fish easily for $100

Yeah, that rock looks pretty good, and i would sell the fish. I've got a couple clowns currently and a baby blue hippo that would be moved into it. I'll have to find out if the glass is tempered or not of course. I've got a 46g bowfront with a teklight t5 setup 4x39w and aquac remora skimmer that i would most likely be breaking down and selling to help pay for the new stuff on this tank. I was looking for a 125 or 150 at first but if i can convert this to reef ready pretty easily and part some stuff out on it and sell the fish for a little extra cash that'd be great. This size tank would be a dream come true lol! Thanks for the input!

Andrew

If you guys have any more tips on buying used setups and things to look out for they'd be appreciated too. I'm really looking to upgrade to at least a 150 but would love a 200+ galllon setup. I have a seperate room in my basement for all the plumbing, not sure yet if i wanna do in wall or not but its possible(in other words the wife wants it lol). Thanks again guys.

Andrew

BigJay

just make sure you factor in the bigger the tank the more water to change, the more pumps and lights (read electric bill) and the more supplements/salt mix it takes. Not sure your financial situation but a 240 is a lot of tank. I'd still love to have it :bluenod:

Varga

I think that's a very good price IF the rock is good. a tank that big IS a dream come true :) my 300 is costing around 100/mo to run. thats in the summer before the heaters come on. good luck

naperenterprise

Oh yeah! Tell me about it!!!

just make sure you factor in the bigger the tank the more water to change, the more pumps and lights (read electric bill) and the more supplements/salt mix it takes. Not sure your financial situation but a 240 is a lot of tank. I'd still love to have it :bluenod:

chrome91

really depends on your area, just yesterday on a local ad here i found a complete 200g with stand, lights, skimmer, and other stuff for $200 OBO.

the fish alone in your link are worth a bit though, it looks like a alright deal

Any tips for me when lookin at buying this used 240g tank?!?

Hey guys, just spoke with the owner of the tank last night finally! The stand is made of pine, the tank is 2 years old. The live rock is Fiji and he purchased everything from a decent LFS here in town 2 years back. The rock has never been bleached, and he has never used anyting copper based in the tank. I'm going to go view it at 5, so in an hour an a half, getting excited lol. The tank has a trickle down filter inside the stand. I don't like the fact that the tank is painted blue on the back, could i somehow change that to black? He said there's over 300 pounds of live rock in it currently. I asked if its tempered glass and i believe he said no but i'm gonna take a look at it tonight, if its not i'm gonna have someone here locally drill it for me. Anything else i'm missing, i need help quick so I can ask more questions when i go view it. He's asking 1400 but last night he said he'd take less, so i'm thinkin about offering a grand for it. Here's the link again.
Fish Tank 240 gallon Saltwater Aquarium

lcstorc

I can almost guarantee the bottom is tempered but the trickle filter is working somehow so it may already be drilled.
Let us know when you get back.

Will do! I doubt that its tempered glass, most of the tanks that the LFS sells are not tempered, they sell quite a bit of large reef ready glass and acrylic tanks. He said he paid over 2 grand for the tank and stand two years back. I'll post more info when I get back. Thanks!

So i just went an checked out the tank. Turns out that guy bought the tank brand new from an LFS here in town that I don't like, and he has since quit doing business with them cause they're just after your money. Now he buys from the same guy I buy from so we got to talkin alot about that. The glass is only tempered on the bottom. Its dimensions are 72x24x31, 240 gallon tank. Including stand its only 5 feet two inches tall, so a custom stand are in order! The tank was up and running and it was crystal clear! Lol, after talking to him and inspecting it over I shot him an offer for $1200(but said my wife wanted to see the fish before we bought it). He accepted the $1200 offer and so tomorrow we're goin over to show my wife the fish(with 1200 in my back pocket!) Nothing with copper has ever entered the tank. He's giving me a hell of a deal here. I checked the seams on all the corners and they looked brand new! Looks like i'm gonna have to start a chronicle soon!

lcstorc

Sounds awesome.
That's pretty normal for the bottom to be tempered. Do you know who made the tank? AGA or Oceanic or somebody else? He may not know but that would be a good piece of info to have. Then you can tell a bit more about the quality.
Sounds like you just got yourself a huge piece of a wonderful, beautiful money pit. :)

Sorry, forgot to add that. The glass tops that came with it are marineland and its two years old. He was pretty sure the tank is marineland too.