What do I get for salt water mix

thelastmucci

OK gang I know, I know your sick of me asking questions. But this is the last component to go before everything is squared away money wise.

What is your favorite salt water mix and why. I ask b/c you can't get any real info from the sites.

Also what is the difference between IO reef "crystals" and their plain ol salt water mix...I find this highly interesting. Thanks guys and gals.

jski711

IO is intended for a fish only system, supposedly it lacks extra calcium, alkalitnity and other trace elements that are essential in a reef tank. i use reef crystals my self, its seems to test out good and i rarely have to dose magnesium. mixes quickly but i age the water for 24 hours. hth.

jake

framerguy

I use Reef Crystals also. It has more calcium and other necessary reef elements than IO, although I'm not sure it matters what brand you use. If you check many "tank of the month" tanks you will find nearly every brand of salt represented which means they all will "work". But IO comes in first as most used, which may mean nothing. Remember each bucket of salt will test differently, even in same brands from bucket to bucket! You need to chose a brand you are comfortable with, test each bucket, and add trace elements to get it up to NSW specs. They all work once you get the levels where you want them.

sasquatch

Brunt of all Jokes~
PREMIUM
OK gang I know, I know your sick of me asking questions. But this is the last component to go before everything is squared away money wise.

What is your favorite salt water mix and why. I ask b/c you can't get any real info from the sites.

Also what is the difference between IO reef "crystals" and their plain ol salt water mix...I find this highly interesting. Thanks guys and gals.

How we ever gonna get sick of you buddy? you just ask, no worries

thelastmucci

Well I can get IO locally but I have to go to that jerk in my neighborhood he's the only LFS that has IO....the other one is just a PITA to get too and really had squat when I went to look around the other...all plain jane stuff..nothing moved me.

I suppose I can get the IO from the guy and just tell him to shut his yap if he gets on me.

You know what else really sucks theres no local reefing club around here. You really have to be good buddies (or pay someone off this is Rhode Island afterall) to get any good corals. The nearest coral swaps are in Boson MA and lord knows I'll get lost there for sure.

Night everyone.