What Corals?

nivek

PREMIUM
RS Ambassador
My mushroom, BTA, Carpet anemone, pagoda cup coral, polythoa, ganipora are all doing fine even though my water temp sometimes hit 32 degrees (worst case scenario).

My average temp hangs around 28 degrees though. I think mushrooms are indestructible :). You should be fine with them as a first coral.

Tosh_Auer

Cool thanks again mate and thats good to hear cause my tank sometimes gets to that aswell.(rearly but still)

tankgirl

Hi Tosh,
I think one of the best sources around is Eric Borneman's book: "Aquarium Corals; Selection, Husbandry & Natural History".

Most of the online vendors have some info about corals too. Don't know if you've checked those out?

http://www.marinedepotlive.com/

ScottT1980

Hey TG, I have been thinking about buying that book (I need a coral book). How comprehensive would you say it is? In other words, does it just discuss the acropora genus as a whole or does it go into the different acropora species, etc...?

Have heard nothing but good things about the book...

Thanks
Scott t.

Montanareefer

Has been struck by the ban stick
Scott I have that book and it is excellent. It shows all types and species of sps corals and all corals in general and very well written. I am so glad I won this book in a contest!:)

mps9506

Scott,
Borneman's book is great. It only really goes to the genus level of identification, occasionally diving into species classification. He covers everything from corallimorphs to stoneys.
Is a good book to id various corals down to the genus.
Even though it may not help you in sp. identification of many corals, it is a very very good book to read and have for some reference.
If you are looking for something that id's corals to the ID level, then your money is better spent on Veron's library, which I don't have, but I'm considering just for the pictures in it.
Mike

Last edited:

mps9506

$160-$180 I think. Probably worth it though, I've spent almost that much on textbooks that I barely used.

But back to the thread. Most mushrooms, probably palythoa sp. and other polyps would do ok up to that temp.
I'd still try to avoid that temp range by throwing some bags of ice or something in the tank.
Mike

David

Hey Tosh, around our neck of the woods, unless you can find some cheap import or some home made job, you'll find it's much cheaper to aircondition the room than to buy a chiller. Grumble, grumble...