What coral is this?

alphasierra

Just after an ID and any advice on this coral.
Thanks
DSCN0965.jpg

DSCN0957.jpg

http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums/red-sea-max-owners-club/38832-rsm-adventure.html

michael_cb_125

Looks like a form of carnation to me.

They are a very challenging coral to keep. They are non-photosynthetic, and require frequent feedings.
~Michael

ReefLady

Staff member
Yeah, I was going to say a Nephtheid or Dendronepthya (which I think is a Carnation). Usually deep water corals, feeding off zooplankton & phytoplankton. They don't typically do well in captivity.

ReefLady

Staff member
Well, not to sound harsh, but it really should be returned to the LFS. It's pretty much destined to die in captivity. If you are looking for "natural placement" - they normally hang upside down from the roofs of caves or ledges. They need very strong water movement, and an almost constant stream of phytoplankton (to feed them enough, you'd have to pretty much pollute your tank).
Sorry, these things just don't live in our tanks.

alphasierra

No problems at all Teri. Thanks for the advice and info on it. :) I must say, the only reason I bought was because it was the smallest available and very cheap.

Phreek

well, i think i got a little more info.and I think it's a strawberry carnation tree coral.

"It is extremely difficult to maintain in the reef aquarium, and should be housed in an established reef aquarium, by the more advanced marine aquarist. It requires low lighting combined with medium to strong water movement. It is necessary to have a constant current with an abundance of algal plankton. For continued good health, it will also require the addition of strontium, iodine, and other trace elements to the water. It does not contain the symbiotic algae zooxanthellae. Therefore, its diet should include live, baby brine shrimp, micro-plankton, and other small foods designed for filter feeding invertebrates, in order to survive in the reef aquarium. These foods must be available almost constantly. Again, only expert aquarists should attempt to keep this coral. "

(quotes from LiveAquaria.com NOT from me.)

prow

even advanced reefers will stay away that coral. a challenge to keep is an understatement....

alphasierra

Phreek - Thanks for the detailed reply. Much appreciated.

Reeflady - Thanks for the articles. I'll have a read.

prow - Thanks... I am far from an "advanced reefer"... well, we all learn from our experiences & mistakes.

Anyhow, I've just been reading up on it in "Aquarium Corals - Eric H. Borneman". and it states that once it's introduced into the aquarium, most collapse and never re-inflate. Unfortunately I didn't take a photo of it when it was first introduced but it was around 1 inch in length. Now it seems to have expanded and collapsed from what the pictures show above.

I'll be making a note to never purchase this coral again.

prow

no worries phreek, we have all been there..kudos to you for asking questions about it, many dont untill they have gone through many deaths..

the best thing is that you learned early that you should always research and ask questions. i have been in the hobby for a long time and if i have not keep or know of a trusted person that has keep a coral i am looking at i will ask around and research so i can perpare to care for it or decide my tank is just not a good place for that particluar coral--hardy or not some corals just dont go together, just like fish. after a while you will be surprised at how much you know...........and you dont know.

funkpolice

in the future you should think about bringing the Corals book to the store with you, then if you find something you like you can look it up before you buy.
bill

largo

Iphone is great for that I can't tell you how many times I've been to a LFS and wanted something only to google it and decline purchasing it. Most lfs's will let you look thru their books too.