what are these?

Singlefin

Looks like palys in the second pic. The lone soldier in the second pic on the far right looks like an Aiptasia with the longer tentacles. Can't really tell, but if it looks different than all the others it might be.

...Layered in salt....

catran

I agree, the second pic is brown button palys. Cut them off ASAP, or they'll spread all over your rock. Always be sure to use gloves when handling zoas or palys. Google palytoxin to find out why-very important!
I'm not sure what your referring to in the first pic. Is that stuff attached to your rock, or can you blow it off with a powerhead? You should, if you can. I see a star like looking thing in the middle, could be a sponge...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dallas Reefer

1st pic middle LOOKS to be an Astrea star. (spelling?) if so, watch them, it's kinda like a cyclic thing. I say that cause I had a bunch, but they just went away.

Built347

Has been struck by the ban stick
I have a bunch of those Brown palys.. they grow FAST and there meat eaters.... mine got a slight tint of green to them after being under some hot lights for a while... the first pic looks like the little nuisance starfish... not sure the name... I though astrea was a snail... idk..

Singlefin

I believe that guy was using steaming hot water to scrub the rocks which vaporized the toxin. He is an experienced reefer and knew the risk.

Part of me is salty...,

tekjunkie28

Ah. Sounds stupid but his tank crashed. So how would that play out. He said that his heater went out and the next day everything was dead. Idk about that. But I dont have much to go on. How would his tank crash and cause his son harm who was a few rooms away?

dmatt88

I have a bunch of those Brown palys.. they grow FAST and there meat eaters.... mine got a slight tint of green to them after being under some hot lights for a while... the first pic looks like the little nuisance starfish... not sure the name... I though astrea was a snail... idk..

Did those come from casa matt?

....... I'm Matt n im a reefaholic.

Built347

Yes they did...there was a giant rock of them in the 180.. and I had probably 10 heads prior... I started with 1 head and it was 10 only a few months later..

dmatt88

Yes they did...there was a giant rock of them in the 180.. and I had probably 10 heads prior... I started with 1 head and it was 10 only a few months later..

Interesting. Somehow I didn't keep that rock. Hmmmm. Strange how they lived 7 hrs out of water

Singlefin

Ah. Sounds stupid but his tank crashed. So how would that play out. He said that his heater went out and the next day everything was dead. Idk about that. But I dont have much to go on. How would his tank crash and cause his son harm who was a few rooms away?

Maybe I read a different article. I though he was in the basement scrubbing the rock. When the toxin was vaporized it traveled vertically into the kitchen or room above him and got his family sick. I don't think it was a simple tank crash and everyone in the house got exposed.

Part of me is salty...,

Built347

Interesting. Somehow I didn't keep that rock. Hmmmm. Strange how they lived 7 hrs out of water

Dude to my surprise everything lived.. little snails and slugs galore. Hermits. Palys. Coraline and ha.. I was impressed..