What are these anyway?

rckmtl

So I was at the fish store today, taking some pics, and I saw these pretty little guys. But there was no tag, and I never did remember to ask what they were.

Anyone know what they are called?

Oh, and they are not that little. The bigger pink one was like a good three inches across.

I'm assuming they are some sort of mushroom thing. They were pretty thick and fleshy.

mush2.jpg

reefjitsu

Do they have a skeleton. From far away it looks like ricordea, but the circular areas in the middle look like the mouths on some Large Polyped Stonies.

Yarr

Your LFS lets to take photos in his shop.. might have ot try that to show everyone how crappy the stuff is here.. you see.. all of our great barrier Reef goes over to the US.. *shakes a fist*

reefjitsu

Probably Symphyllia, maybe Lobophyllia, look closer it has a circular area (see attachment) that is where the feeding tentacles will emerge during feeding. Ricordias and mushrooms do not have this. LPS do.
spinybrain.jpg

I don't think that they have the specie name identified correctly but the genus is right on.

Attachments

• mush2.jpg
    mush2.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 63

rckmtl

Thanks for the feedback guys! I think it's looking like Reefjitsu's on the right track. I should have checked the base of them when I was at the store. Hopefully they'll be there the next time I go so I can find out for sure.

I'm pretty sure they aren't Rics though, cuz the tentacles weren't at all like the rounded balls you get on rics.

rckmtl

Yarr said:
Your LFS lets to take photos in his shop.. might have ot try that to show everyone how crappy the stuff is here.. you see.. all of our great barrier Reef goes over to the US.. *shakes a fist*

Oh, and yeah, most of the LFS's around me have let me take pics. I just explain that I'm looking to get more practice with my camera, and most of them are very freindly about it. Out of about 6 shops I've only had one say that I couldn't.

Which was sad, cuz they had pretty stuff, clear glass, and black backgrounds!
And for some crazy reason, yesterday they had a blue ring octopus...which while it was -really- pretty....Dang. I just hope they are carefull about who they sell it to.

Witfull

rckmtl said:
yesterday they had a blue ring octopus...which while it was -really- pretty....Dang. I just hope they are carefull about who they sell it to.
no pictures, but you can pet it if you want too~

rckmtl

Hmmm...or for just 200 hundred dollars I could get rid of people I don't like, using the 'would you like to pet it?' line...hmmmm;)