what are the best salts?what do you use?

fishheads

Why do you like your salt...What is your preference....do you use cheap salts & has it effected you negatively...IF YOUR AN EXPERT ON SALTS..please rate them for us(especially me) from best to worst...i currently use oceanic & am very pleased with it...i also use red sea occasionly:thumber:

burning2nd

Tropic marin, is the best IMO no buffer time I use the PRo reef, but i use to use the Regular Tm

a lotta people use Instant Ocean, stay away from aynthing that Red sea has there name on.

i beleave Tm is the best becuase i dont have to buffer anything. theres no need for additives.

also i wouldnt recommend switching salters regulaly pic one and stick 2 it,

PhilOlsen

Has been struck by the ban stick
I also use Tropic Marine, but if you are switching salts do it gradually, start with 80% old salt and 20% new, then 70-30, 60-40 and so on making the change slowly over a period of several water changes.

lcstorc

Tropic Marin Pro Reef here. It tests great on everything I have the ability to test for.

aquaman3680

TMP is a good salt but for the price not worth it... I use Reef Crystals, it is also a great salt but is less expensive

Matt

Warnberg

I used IO for several years, but I recently switched to Tropic Marin Pro Reef... I'm glad I switched.

john

Instant ocean here,great salt at a great price! What benefits are there to using TM pro-reef compared to instant ocean???

DeepBlue

I use I.O and have for years. It disolves quickly and doesn't leave sediment when you mix it. The calcium levels and ph remain stable as does the Alk. A good choice of salt at a good price.

Warnberg

I just like to keep my alk and calcium higher than what IO provided out of the box. My pH seems to be more stable as well....

JMO

cheeks69

Wannabe Guru
RS STAFF
There is no best salt they all have their pro's/con's. Many of the one's that test well for elements like cal/alk are also high in PO4 so pick your poison. The best is NSW unfortunately that's not an option for most of us.

It disolves quickly and doesn't leave sediment when you mix it.

That's not necessarily a good sign, calcium takes time to dissolve so this tells me that there's additives being used.

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
I am currently using TM Pro Reef. A good balanced salt that I do NOT have to add any ca, alk or mg to. :thumbup:

The other salts are good but, IME, require additions of ca, alk or mg... or .. are too high in one or more of them. Just test prior to usage and adjust accordingly.

JFK_Jr

PREMIUM
The best is NSW unfortunately that's not an option for most of us.

You know it's funny you mention NSW. I live 5 minuets away from Haulover inlet... the site that Charles Delbeek and Julian Sprung site as a popular place that aquarists collect NSW on incoming tide. THE REEF AQUARIUM Science, Art, and Technology. (Page 62)

Still... I find it easier to mix I.O. Reef Crystals than lugging NSW. Guess I'm too lazy. :zzz:

cheeks69

Wannabe Guru
RS STAFF
You know it's funny you mention NSW. I live 5 minuets away from Haulover inlet... the site that Charles Delbeek and Julian Sprung site as a popular place that aquarists collect NSW on incoming tide. THE REEF AQUARIUM Science, Art, and Technology. (Page 62)

Still... I find it easier to mix I.O. Reef Crystals than lugging NSW. Guess I'm too lazy. :zzz:

:lol:
I don't know if you can see the photos if your not a member of this Brazilian forum but you can see all the plankton your missing out on under the microscope.

http://www.ipaq.org.br/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=6419