What am I doing wrong?

I have a RSM130D about 3 month since I've have my tanks setup.
For supplement lightning I have a reefbrite 15" XHO LED all blue.
The standard lighting I keep them on for about 2 hours. The reefbrite stay on for about 12 hours.
10% water change every week. There is only one fish present a clownfish, 2 peppermint shrimps which elimated all the apatasia from a few Zoa put in the tank. A small frag of hammer, torch, small leather, Xenia, Yuma, a few shroom, green star polyps, and 3 BTA.

Issue: some of my corals are losing colors, turning white.
All BTA are loosing color. Yuma is almost white, it was red and black. The star polyps is turning like a mint green. I guess you get the idea!

Are the lights not enough, or too much? Are the RSM owners dosing? Running of ideas here. I was so use to large tanks! This is my first RSM and I'm wondering what I'm doing wrong.

DaveK

I see a few possible problems here.

In checking out the Reefbrite web site at http://www.reefbrite.com/reefbrite-xho-led/ and even downloading their product catalog, I see no information on what size or brand of LEDs they are using. There also isn't a spectrum chart. In my opinion this is a big red flag.

You also seem to have an all blue fixture. This is great light if you want the corals to glow, but I think this alone would not give you a good spectrum for coral growth.

If I'm reading your post right, your using the Reefbright most of the time at about 12 hours a day, and the standard lighting only 2 hours a day.

Offhand, I think you have too little light and at the wrong spectrum. This can be hard to tell though, because there are many factors in lighting.

Just to test the theory, slowly change the timing around so your using both lighting about 10 hours a day. If you see some improvement, your on the right track.

Water quality can also be an issue. Test your water parameters. especially ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, phosphate, magnesium, alkalinity and calcium. Please post exact readings. Statement such as "all reading are good" do not convey any information.

Other water related problems can come from your water source. Are you using RO/DI water?

Firstly, I appreciate the immediate response from the members here on this thread. TY
OK I set the timer for the RSM standard lights to stay on for 10 hours, along with the reefbrite.
As for checking the parameter I need to pickup a kit I just order from the LFS, will pickup later. Afterwards I will post all reading.
I use RO from a RODI Kent system I own. The membrane and all filters have been changed no more than 6 months ago.

Choff

I can't quite tell, but is this your first reef tank? Anemone are not the best choice if you are just 3 months into the hobby. The general guideline is around a year because it really takes that long for most to really get their heads around maintaining consistent and proper water parameters. Nems can really struggle if everything is not on point in your system from light, water and flow. Keep posting, this place is great and I owe everything I have ever learned from the great folks here.

No I'm not new to the hobby! It's seem your just second guessing or assuming. I actually have more than 10 years only in the saltwater. This is my first RSM one of the smallest tanks I've had in my years of the hobby. When this tank was setup about 3 months ago. I added more than 60% of the water came from my 220G, added a few pieces of rock came from the 220 as well that have been in my system for more than 6 years. The sand was brandnew and added a few pieces of Marco dry rock.

I guess listening to a RSM owner told me that he swear on the bible that the reefbrite was so good, and sent me pictures showing his corals and anemones. He told me to only put 2-4 hours of the standard light and to keep the reefbrite on for 10+ hours. As I've seen in this hobby, not always good to listen to everyone opinions. And what you do will necessarily work for me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Choff

Excellent, and honestly your post didn't sound as such either. I didn't mean any disrespect, but just want to ask.