what about scallops ?

slb11106

i was thinking of getting something differnet for my tank, i would like a clam but i dont know if that would work with my t5 lighting, does anyone keep scallops or does anyone have any other ideas ?

Charlie97L

scallops, i've heard are tough to keep happy... you have to spot feed them DT phyto, i believe, and that's time consuming/messy.

i think a deresa would be just fine under t5... i don't think t5s have really been out long enough to determine long term clam health under them, but they're supposedly on-PAR with MH. ahha, i love puns.

Cougra

Scallops are even more difficult to keep then Clams. It's unknown what their exact requirements are and they tend to parish within weeks of being introduced to a tank.

Charlie97L

most clams need a MH. if you get them under 3", they need to be bowl fed phyto pretty regularly. ie, put a bowl in the tank, put the clam in the bowl, lift the bowl out of the tank, add phyto, then when the water is clear, reverse to put the clam back in the tank.

above 3" they are mostly photosynthetic, but can still stand a little phyto being added to tank to supplement.

deresa's are ok to be kept under Bright PC lights.. but crocea's, maxima's and most of the others need a MH.

T5 lighting really hasn't been tested long term with clams yet, as it's new technology still. MH is proven.

ReefLady

Staff member
Like the others said, scallops are pretty difficult. They have special feeding requirements - I've heard that in order to provide them enough food to thrive, you'd need to pollute your tank. We had one years ago, it lasted about 6 months.
Another thing about scallops. They can & will move around your tank, and will almost always decide they love the spot where you can't see them. ;-)

Charlie97L is on the money about clams - all I would add is they need good, stable tank parameters - including very good calc / alk levels.

HTH,

Dragon Wrasse

Cougra said:
Scallops are even more difficult to keep then Clams. It's unknown what their exact requirements are and they tend to parish within weeks of being introduced to a tank.
Had a Flame Scallop...target fed it....it only lasted a couple of months. Some say that they have a short life span, I never seen one last for any long period of time.

slb11106

Charlie97L said:
deresa's are ok to be kept under Bright PC lights.. but crocea's, maxima's and most of the others need a MH.

T5 lighting really hasn't been tested long term with clams yet, as it's new technology still. MH is proven.

so clams are ok

and the deresa's would be best ?

Cougra

No...not exactly....it's unknown how well most clams will do under the T-5 lights.
However Deresa's are very hardy clams that will most likely live under the T5 lighting. You may need to find a way to place the clam near the top of the tank should it show signs of stress (Ie opening too much, loosing colouration) to get more lighting.

slb11106

ahhh, well i would like to see if the t5's will do and i will start at the bottom and i have a plae near the top just in case i need to move it. do you agree that the deresa is the best candidate ?

do they need to be fed anything special ?or direct feeding or just some kind of additive to the tank ?

Witfull

i agree with derasa you shouldnt have an issue under T-5's. if its 3" or more it will feed off of light.