Wet/Dry Vac question

tankgirl

I know some people use a wet/dry vac (like a shop vac) to siphon detritus out of their tanks. Anyone who uses them, could you give me some info about brands and special techniques if any?

fidojoe

Fish Addict
Genie makes one thats good, you want to make sure it has enough power, but not too much, like about 1/4 -1/2 hp. and capable of handling water, if you use a shop vac. Home depot and lowes sell them. Make sure you use it on a well grounded gfci power source, other wise it will be a shocking experience,,, literally:) HTH

Frogfish

I would think that the shop vac would suck out most of the water before you could get to all the detrius. A syphon has low flow rates but enough to get any loose debris.

Or do you have a reason for not wanting to use a siphon?

jks1

TG- I hadnt heard of anyone using a shopvac for detritus removal, although folks have used them to remove a DSB.

tankgirl

You guys are all great! :D

I can siphon the tank easy - but can't siphon the sump because it's too close to the ground. And it's too big a sump to use a turkey baster.

Maybe a shop vac isn't quite the answer to my problems, do they make a handheld wet/dry vac?

Thanks, fidojoe!! I'll go look them over.

Thanks, too, Scott! What's a python?

sharks

Contributing Member
Prime a canister filter
then use it to clean the sump
My old Fluval does have a use :)
I clean the sump avery few months this way returning the water back to the sump.
Sponges catch all the crud in no time
S

sw_addicted

just a tip the python costs about the same as a lower grade canister and I dont think the shop vac is a good idea because all the water loss. when I clean our tank I use a (hot) magnum with a hose attached so I can take my time and get every nook and cranny with no water loss. magnums only cost about $50 and can be used for water polishing with various types of media then removed from the system after easy cleaning.

wooddood

the wood dude
hey tg go with a cannister filter it works on the same principle as a shop vac but no water loss.the filter will catch all the crud and you can do the sump too.its the best solution i have found.now for a water change i would use a syphon tube and hose just like the good old freshwater days lol.

tankgirl

Thanks, sw & wooddood! Great info, I appreciate it! Sounds like a perfect solution. I'll go check them out. :D

sw_addicted

I use the(hot) magnum because they are inexpensive easy to clean and versatile. They are the only one that I Know of that came with a syphon tube and hose that plugs into the filter easily and no mess. I have had one of my magnums for over 6 years and it has been running the whole time with the impeller being replaced once. Plus the hang on the back style keeps it out of your way so your not tripping over it and they work great for carbon once a month.