well i did it

I removed the dsb that has been giving me headaches for months today,was not that bad to do.Had algea blooms all the time and NO sps color, unless you call brown a color...lol....phosphates always high no matter how many water changes i did:( .so went with starboard bottom and love it!!! ALL my sps are fully open now and my green tree is open for the first time in a month.Ill keep a log to see what efects this will have in the long run.......:D

25 cent a pound field stone ,its old coral rock here in fla....its everywhere.....you can get it by the pound or 2000#s for 200 bucks delivered to your door via truck:D

mnreefman

Originally posted by blueoceandiver
I...phosphates always high no matter how many water changes i did:(
outa curriosity.... could this be from that rock since it isnt live rock... maybe some chemicles leaching into your system

mnreefman

also normal rock wont have the same benifits as liverock for nutrient export... your gunna need to do ALOT of waterchanges and often... since you have no biological filtration..

there is live rock in there its just hidden a little,this is the same rock tbs uses for thier stock....used it often in many tanks with no ill effect..the dsb i set up was done wrong,i used dead sand on top of live and went down hill from there:( to much of a hurry.......merry x-mas to all its now the 25th:D hope you all get a little tank stuff!!!!

mojoreef

Just a reefer
Blueoceandiver is that not the exact same rock as tampa bay live rock. From my talks with the boys at Tampabay saltwater, what they do is take that field rock and dump it into ocean for a few years and then harvest it as thier live rock. It is rock from an old coral reef that has been out of water for a long time, but still has all the pourious as most LR we buy.

Mike

Bouncer420

What is starboard, do you use it insead of some kind of bed? And I've heard about "eggcrate" where can I get info?

yep the stuff they use in boats and cutting boards,right now ebay has the cheapest stuff but a local boat place might give you a deal.my sps have never been as open as they are today so im happy.ill keep the log going with data to keep track.hope you all have a great holiday!!!:D...yes the rock is the old coral reef from many years ago...now if i had a spot in the ocean to dump it for a few years.......lol:)

mojoreef

Just a reefer
Blue as long as you seed it with some Live rock it will load up no problem. When I add a new peice of LR to my established tank I always boil it to kill anything nasty that maybe in it, (its a quick cure, lol) with in a month or so its covered in corraline and full of bugs. Its kinda like a new vacant apt. building.

mike