Welcome to the Chem Dept.

boozeman

great idea...thanks boomer!!!!

I have a phobia of chemistry professors...when in school and taking organic chemistry, I forgot to bring my goggles to the lab. The professor sternly said ''you are not allowed in without goggles and will get no credit for today!''
Thinking quickly...I ran to my locker and grabbed my snorkeling goggles (I was working towards my scuba certification after school)...when I walked thru the door wearing mask and snorkle everyone busted out laughing as I said ''you didn't specify type''..the professor shook his head and allowed me in...but since that day he had it in for me and I would always be called on for anything. Was the hardest course I ever had...worst was that I had him for two classes that semester (organic chemistry and quantitative analysis).:away:

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
Actually, I have a question. I have seen some reefers get really upset if their calcium is really high and begin doing major water changes to bring it down.

Does a super high calcium level of say 500ppm warrant massive water changes or can one just wait for the levels to drop on their own?

Boomer

Reef Sanctuary's Mr. Wizard
Woody

No, you might ask them how it got there :) If on the other hand it is one of those salts with high Ca++ then that is another issue, time for a different salt. It is a myth the reef tanks need higher than noraml Ca++. It is pretty much that if Ca++ is increased over 360 ppm it will do nothing to increase growth of croals and corallines etc...If they screwed up just let it come down on its own and try not to let the pH or Alk get to high==>Snowstorm.

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
That is what I thought but now I know I'm on the right track ;)

360 ppm ca ehhh?? What would be the lowest calcium level before it would retard growth?

Gina

RS STAFF
And here I thought that if my calcium wasn't over say 450, I needed to try and raise it.
Mine usually runs around 360-380 and I thought that was low!